NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

Post a reply

Write your message and submit
Options
Humanity test

What is three + ten?

Go back

Topic review (newest first)

Zeruda
03-05-2010 23:50:41

Waccoon wrote:

I'm pretty sure your host has disabled file uploads.  The reason why the uploader just refreshes the screen is because the server pretends it didn't receive a picture.

The only thing you can do is keep trying to contact your hosting company and ask if your server supports file uploads.

The Java applets send data differently than the web browser does, so that's why the applets work.

That's a little odd.... I mean, file upload work on my forums just fine. I sent an e-mail anyway, though I doubt I'll get a reply.
Is there any alternative to uploading avatars?

Waccoon
03-05-2010 01:35:41

I'm pretty sure your host has disabled file uploads.  The reason why the uploader just refreshes the screen is because the server pretends it didn't receive a picture.

The only thing you can do is keep trying to contact your hosting company and ask if your server supports file uploads.

The Java applets send data differently than the web browser does, so that's why the applets work.

Zeruda
03-04-2010 20:53:57

Waccoon wrote:

I updated the file:  edit_avatar_1.4.3x.zip

I don't think this is a permissions issue.  It looks more like the server is simply throwing away the uploaded images.  If this new script doesn't print anything, then we're kind of stuck.

Images upload just fine using the "Upload" feature (not "Draw")?

Well, they were. Now I get: "An error occured while uploading. Try again. Use your browser button to go back. "

I could upload with "Upload" before, but not now. I tried going back to the older version of edit_avatar.php, and that didn't make a difference, so I just reuploaded the new file you just gave me. I tried contacting my host to see if they changed anything on their server (though I don't think they did), buuuut no reply as usual.

It seems we've reached a dead end here... I'm not sure why it's doing this, nor do I know what caused the "Upload" instead of "Draw" to stop working.

Waccoon
03-03-2010 03:03:12

I updated the file:  edit_avatar_1.4.3x.zip

I don't think this is a permissions issue.  It looks more like the server is simply throwing away the uploaded images.  If this new script doesn't print anything, then we're kind of stuck.

Images upload just fine using the "Upload" feature (not "Draw")?

Zeruda
03-02-2010 23:51:26

Waccoon wrote:

Alright, so I filled in the spot for my local path to the avatar folder

You mean you edited the "edit_avatar.php" file before you uploaded it?  No, no... leave that blank.  That's a hack I added for people who have multiple boards installed across subdomains.

Just upload the file directly to the server without changing it.  Otherwise, it won't work the way it's supposed to.

Alright, did that. Still nothing. Just the same refreshing of edit_avatar.php.

...should I change everything to 777 and try that?

Waccoon
03-02-2010 05:42:13

Alright, so I filled in the spot for my local path to the avatar folder

You mean you edited the "edit_avatar.php" file before you uploaded it?  No, no... leave that blank.  That's a hack I added for people who have multiple boards installed across subdomains.

Just upload the file directly to the server without changing it.  Otherwise, it won't work the way it's supposed to.

Zeruda
03-02-2010 02:04:08

Waccoon wrote:

Sorry for the wait.  I finally put some extra diagnostics in the avatar uploader.

When dealing with upload issues, this can sometimes be a trial-and-error process.  When you try to upload an avatar, it will give a step-by-step printout of what's going on.  If there's any steps missing, we'll narrow down the issues from there.  I do find it strange that pictures will upload but not avatars.  I'm thinking there's some kind of permissions issue here.

Alright, so I filled in the spot for my local path to the avatar folder and uploaded the file. Howeveerrr.... same thing is happening. Where should I be looking for the step-by-step printout?

Waccoon
03-01-2010 05:55:06

Sorry for the wait.  I finally put some extra diagnostics in the avatar uploader.

When dealing with upload issues, this can sometimes be a trial-and-error process.  When you try to upload an avatar, it will give a step-by-step printout of what's going on.  If there's any steps missing, we'll narrow down the issues from there.  I do find it strange that pictures will upload but not avatars.  I'm thinking there's some kind of permissions issue here.

Zeruda
02-22-2010 21:46:03

Waccoon wrote:

Okay, if you log in as the owner and go into the Diagnostics section, at the bottom the folder permissions are listed.  The one for the avatars folder shows up as "OK", right?

I'm going to have to make a custom editor for you to try out, so we can tell whether the server is even accepting the images.  I have to get something else done for Tuesday, so it may take a couple days.

Yep, it shows up as "OK". Take your time; I'm very thankful for your help. I'll keep checking back for your next post. :>

Waccoon
02-22-2010 03:16:15

Okay, if you log in as the owner and go into the Diagnostics section, at the bottom the folder permissions are listed.  The one for the avatars folder shows up as "OK", right?

I'm going to have to make a custom editor for you to try out, so we can tell whether the server is even accepting the images.  I have to get something else done for Tuesday, so it may take a couple days.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB