NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

Post a reply

Write your message and submit
Options
Humanity test

What is six + five?

Go back

Topic review (newest first)

Waccoon
05-28-2009 04:20:10

Server 500 errors can be caused by a lot of things, and are typically related to security, as in, the server doesn't want to serve pages.

You'd have to check your web server's error log to find out what the problem is.  How you do that varies from server to server, and some free servers don't allow it at all.

toastie
09-19-2008 15:32:31

Thanks so much! I will try and make these changes, and if it doesn't work, I'll write you.

Waccoon
09-19-2008 01:46:03

An Internal Server Error happens when the server doesn't want to send a page for some reason.  It can be very difficult to track down the reason if this is related to the server's security policy.

Try using a CHMOD number of 777 for the folders, instead of 775.  Also, if you copied the ".htaccess" file from the documentation folder to the server, try removing it.  If that doesn't work, I'm willing to install the board for you if you don't mind giving me your login information.  There's a whole bunch of things that can cause an Internal Server Error.

You can reach me here: my e-mail address.

toastie
09-18-2008 15:18:00

Thanks! I think I can do this now. I'll let you know if I get stuck again.

EDIT: Damn. The server is all wacked. What is wrong? I  CHMOD'd everything I needed to I'm pretty sure but when I try to access the install page thingy, is says:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@toastierawr.x10hosting.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.9 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.8b mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at toastierawr.x10hosting.com Port 80

I really, really, want to smash my computer right now.

Waccoon
09-18-2008 03:31:16

If you "mess up" the file permissions, you can just fix it after the board is installed.  The diagnostics page will tell you if something isn't working.

All you really have to do is make the resource folder and templates folder writable, by CHMODing them to 775 (or check "group write" permission).  This allows you to create new templates.  You should also CHMOD all the files in the templates folder to 664 (or check "group write" permission), which will allow you to edit existing templates.

All the other folders and files the board needs should be created automatically.  After installation, log in as the owner and check the diagnostics page located on the admin menu.  It will tell you if anything is "locked", or not writable.  If your server says that the root folder ("./") is locked, that's unusual, but nothing to worry about.

Oh yeah, and if the installer doesn't like the MySQL information you type in, just run the installer again and try something else.  There's really no need to recopy files.

toastie
09-17-2008 14:45:45

DOUBLE EDIT: Alright. I get it now. The only thing I need is I want to know which files I need to make writable. I don't want to do something wrong, mess it up, and do it over.

Waccoon
09-17-2008 06:12:00

One thing I've experienced is that an FTP program will just seem to freeze and never actually get a file listing.  Unfortunately, not all FTP programs will talk to each other.  If you're not getting a specific error message, and the program just seems to sit there trying to connect forever, you might have to try a different FTP program.

Try CoffeCup
or FileZilla to see if you have better luck with those programs.  CoffeeCup is a bit simpler, but FileZilla is more popular and is likely to be more compatible.

Usually, authorization can be troublesome, but just connecting should be straightforward and give at least some message if a solid connection could not be made.

toastie
09-16-2008 15:22:41

Okay, I tried everything, and it still won't connect. It's saying it can be resolved, and I put my user and pass, my site name, domain name... Everything. What do I do? I'm currently using the Core FTP Lite, and use x10hosting. I don't know what the problem is. I must be doing something wrong.

Thank you for all your help so far though! :3

Waccoon
09-16-2008 05:15:59

Which FTP program are you using?

Most FTP clients will show a list of commands that were sent to the server, such as "PORT", "LIST", "TYPE", and so on, and this list will contain specific connection issues.  If the connection can't be "resolved", this sounds like an FTP compatibility issue, and a few specific error messages could help pinpoint the problem.  Also, if your FTP program supports the ability to have a Default Directory, make sure that is blank.  Some hosting services will put all files into a sub-folder called "public_html" or "www", but some servers will freak out if you try to set those or anything else as the default directory.

toastie
09-16-2008 00:02:06

I have everything, but I can't get my FTP program to connect. It keeps saying I have a valid name and such... but no valid data to be resolved for. What do I do? This is confusing.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB