NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 12-13-2010 17:43:15

arisidhe

Wacintaki and viewing animations

So, this is actually the same issue on two separate oekaki boards.  But I do know that it's not a problem with my computer, since on a THIRD oekaki board, all animations run fine.  (though, in retrospect, this third board runs wax poteto 5.8.0...) So basically, I was wondering if someone could help me with figuring out exactly what needs to be changed/modified to make these work (I'm assuming it's related to how much space something is designated, I think I read that somewhere...) so that I could possibly bug the people who run these boards and let them know how to fix the problem.  Um, I hope that made sense.  :x

For one board, it is using Wacintaki 1.4.2, set up this way I believe, and none of the animations work; the applet will load some but the final loading of the images/strokes will never appear, and clicking on the play or stop button won't do anything.  The board is here, if you want the link: http://krystina.net/talesof/oekaki/index.php

The other board is using Wacintaki 1.5.3, newly set up, and only shipainter animations don't seem to work (I might run another test on this later), but paintBBS animations work just fine.  I'm pretty sure it's not an issue with maximum file size, either, since the size of the animation file is only 125KB.  It also shouldn't be a banner ad problem (most likely for either site), since no banner ads ever show up, and the second board is also hosted on 000webhost.com, which doesn't put up banners I believe.

I also had a completely separate question, Wac: Is it possible to view shipainter/paintbbs animations offline/from your computer, and not through having to upload the animation file onto an oekaki board?  Just curious; is there some program I'd have to download to make it work?  Is there an offline version of shipainter?  I know chibipaint has a version of its applet that you can download for the computer to use just by yourself, so I figured it was worth a shot.

Anyway, thanks, and please let me know if I can be any clearer, etc.

Last edited by arisidhe (12-13-2010 18:03:17)

#2 12-13-2010 23:29:47

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Wacintaki and viewing animations

The first board isn't working because it's a Microsoft IIS web server, and those servers will not allows you to download filetypes that do not have registered MIME types.  In other words, PNG and JPEG files are very common and have the MIME types "image/png" and "image/jpeg", respectively.  The web server knows what kind of files these are.  The animation types (PCH and CHI) do not have MIME types available, so Microsoft servers will not let you download them.

The files are actually there, but if you go to the pictures folder and click on a PCH or CHI file, you'll get an error:

http://krystina.net/talesof/oekaki/pictures/
http://krystina.net/talesof/oekaki/pictures/OP_13.pch

Unfortunately, this is just the way the web server is set up, and the only thing you can do is ask your system administrator to add the appropriate MIME types, as outlined in the oekaki manual.

This is almost never a problem with Linux-based web servers.

As for the second web server that's only playing PaintBBS animations, I'm not too sure about that, because PaintBBS and ShiPainter use the same animation viewer.  Could I have a link to that oekaki, please?

#3 12-15-2010 01:23:45

arisidhe

Sure, and thanks for the info!  The Microsoft IIS is too bad, but I'll see if it isn't possible. 
And the second board is not worksafe, just fyi, sorry.

Last edited by arisidhe (12-18-2010 17:08:07)

#4 12-15-2010 03:41:21

Waccoon
Administrator

Okay, this is weird.  For some reason the server is assuming the ShiPainter animation data is a text file, and is adding extra linefeeds into the file (a linefeed is what happens when you press the "Enter" key).

This is a well understood problem with computers, but it almost never happens with file uploads these days.  Chances are, the auto-scan used by your server to detect text files isn't very good.

I've made a hack to the ShiPainter script.  This should fix the animation problem, as it's worked on my machine. 

I'll make this a new feature for Wacintaki 1.5.4.

Also, since there's only one ShiPainter animation on your board right now, I took the liberty to fix it for you:  OP_10.zip.  If you have trouble uploading it to your sever, you might have to CHMOD the old "OP_10.pch" file to 664 before you can replace it via FTP.  It's also possible that you might have to delete the old file first, upload the new one, and then CHMOD it to 664.  It depends on your server's security policy.

#5 12-17-2010 13:01:54

arisidhe

Okay, so, I think I messed something up.  I uploaded your hack to both the general oekaki folder as well as the shipainter one (I wasn't sure where to put it; maybe I'm still doing this wrong?) and then I also tried to fix the individual 10.pch file.  I found out that I didn't have permission to change the avatar and pictures folders though, so I used a "fix file ownership" tool that webhost offered, because the files said that they were owned by "99" and I couldn't do anything with them.  It worked, I uploaded the new file, I chmodded to 664, and it still didn't work (though that might be more due to the fact that I think I somehow uploaded the hack wrong?  Maybe?).  And now, when I go to draw on the board, an error comes up:  "Pictures folder is locked! View Readme.txt for help."
I've tried listening to that too and chmodding avatars and pictures to 775, but still no fix.  Sorry for all the trouble, Wac, I'm not very good at this, haha... What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by arisidhe (12-17-2010 13:03:22)

#6 12-17-2010 14:36:33

Waccoon
Administrator

Uh oh.  Changing ownership is usually a bad idea.

On UNIX servers, there's two commands to set file and folder permissions, CHOWN and CHMOD.  CHOWN lets you set which group policy to apply to the file, and I would assume that group "99" grants ownership to PHP, but not to FTP.  So, that's why PHP could write files to that folder, and you couldn't write files via your FTP program.  Any program that has ownership of the file can also use CHMOD to allow access to it.  So, if group "14" wanted to write a file into a folder, the folder would either have to be owned by group 14, or it could be owned by group 99 with a CHMOD value of 775, which should allow group 14 write access.

You might have to set the pictures folder to 777 or maybe even 776 to get it to work.  It depends on your server's specific security policy, and how it handles the execute bit.  Try changing only one folder at a time, and use "Owner: Diagnostics" from the oekaki menu to check if that folder (or anything else) is still locked.

If you can get the folders unlocked, I wouldn't bother messing with the files, like "config.php" or "notice.php".  I have a separate script that can fix the files.  It's the folders we need to worry about.

If worse comes to worse, I can fix it for you if you'll grant me access to your host's control panel -- but only as a last resort.  Just don't go deleting things and we'll be able to fix this.

As for the shiget.php file, that only has to go into the general oekaki folder, not the shipainter folder.

#7 12-17-2010 15:54:11

arisidhe

Thanks so much, Wac.  I set the permissions to 777 and it's working fine again, both pictures and avatars.  Will things be fine if left the way they are now?

But I'm still stuck with the initial problem of the animations not working (I tested with a fast scribble in shii, too; still the same).  Any clue where to proceed from here?

#8 12-17-2010 20:07:07

Waccoon
Administrator

Huh.  The animation viewer was working fine earlier, but the animation data was corrupt.  Now, it looks like the player itself isn't working, but only the ShiPainter player.  We might have to play around with the permissions.  I really don't know why the PaintBBS animation viewer would work while the ShiPainter won't.  It's the same player.  All I'm getting from the Java Console is "Access Denied", which isn't very informative.

Apparently some things are still locked, so download the config file repair utility (link), upload it to the main oekaki folder, and run it by typing its name into the browser address bar.  It should unlock all the config files.  Go to the Diagnostics page from the oekaki menu to make sure all the config files are unlocked.  If they are, delete the reclaim tool from the server.

You can also try setting the pictures folder to a CHMOD number of 776 instead of 777, but that's just a shot in the dark.

Also, delete the "shiget.php" file from the shipainter folder.  It's not needed.

#9 12-17-2010 22:18:17

arisidhe

So Wac, I did what you told me to; uploaded and ran the repair, it checked out fine so I deleted the file and the shiget file in the shipainter folder.
I tried setting the picture folder setting to 776, but that just made the thumbnails break and gave me a 403 forbidden file error, so I switched it back to 777 again. 
Sorry it's still buggy, and thank you so much for all the help you've given me!  You've been incredibly patient. 
Would giving you the 000webhost account and letting you try to fix it from there help any?

#10 12-17-2010 22:41:24

Waccoon
Administrator

As far as I can tell, the permission issues have been straightened out, and I re-downloaded that animation file and it seems to be fixed.  There's got to be something messing up the animation viewer.

If you're okay with sending me the 000webhost information, that would be a big help, and any information you have should be sent to my e-mail.  I've figured out a lot of UNIX quirks over the years, so hopefully this is just a minor glitch.  I've also recommended people use 000webhost since I set up someone else's oekaki on it and it seems to be behaving well, so I'd like to know if this is an issue with the hosting service itself, or just a configuration issue.

#11 12-18-2010 12:08:10

Waccoon
Administrator

I got the info and took a look at your server.  Deleting and re-uploading the "shipainter" folder fixed the problem, so I guess it was the "sticky bit" that was the issue.  UNIX filesystems has all sorts of settings that can cause issues.

Everything seems to be working now, but if you have any other issues in the future, let me know.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB