NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 09-14-2008 15:25:11

toastie

Setting Up My Oekaki :/

I've read instalation instructions, and I don't get it at all. I'm not big on the computer stuff. I also downloaded the oekaki files and what not, I have a hosting site... although funpic kinda sucks a little, and still stumped. Could someone help me?

PS: Is there any free hosting sites that would have all the things to set up and oekaki? Other than funpic? Thank you in advance!

Truly yours, Toastie ;3

Watch out for that skateboard!

#2 09-14-2008 21:57:04

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Setting Up My Oekaki :/

Some alternative free hosts are summarized in the Features and Suggestions thread.  FunPic is annoying because they have full-page side-scrolling ads that block the entire oekaki.  If you can find another hosts that has less intrusive ads, that's recommended.  Try looking at some other web sites that are hosted on the service you have in mind.

1) Setting up the database (MySQL information) varies from hosting service to service.  You'll need to follow the directions provided by your hosting service to set up the database.  Once you do that, you'll have the information you'll need to enter into the oekaki installer.

2) Beyond the database, which is the hardest part, you essentially have to upload all the oekaki files to the server using an FTP program or a web browser-based upload program.

3) Once the files are on the server, some files will have to be made writable, because otherwise the oekaki cannot save its configuration or accept changes to the banner and front page notice.  The files that need to be made writable are listed in the readme file that comes with the oekaki ZIP file.  Changing the permissions of files in an FTP program is called CHMODing.  Most FTP programs allow you to do this by right-clicking on a file, selecting "permissions" or "properties", and then changing the CHMOD number or filling in some check boxes.  If your FTP program uses numbers, use the numbers in the install instructions.  If your FTP program uses check boxes, then make sure that the required files have "group write" enabled.  By default, "owner write" is on, and "group write" and "public write" are off.  You need to turn on "group write".

Once these three steps are completed, the rest is a step-by-step process.  You just have to view the board and type in your database information, and create your admin account.

If you're not at all familiar with FTP, you'll need to learn how to use one of those programs, first.  FTP is pretty much a requirement for running any kind of web site.

#3 09-16-2008 00:02:06

toastie

I have everything, but I can't get my FTP program to connect. It keeps saying I have a valid name and such... but no valid data to be resolved for. What do I do? This is confusing.

Last edited by toastie (09-16-2008 00:11:37)

#4 09-16-2008 05:15:59

Waccoon
Administrator

Which FTP program are you using?

Most FTP clients will show a list of commands that were sent to the server, such as "PORT", "LIST", "TYPE", and so on, and this list will contain specific connection issues.  If the connection can't be "resolved", this sounds like an FTP compatibility issue, and a few specific error messages could help pinpoint the problem.  Also, if your FTP program supports the ability to have a Default Directory, make sure that is blank.  Some hosting services will put all files into a sub-folder called "public_html" or "www", but some servers will freak out if you try to set those or anything else as the default directory.

#5 09-16-2008 15:22:41

toastie

Okay, I tried everything, and it still won't connect. It's saying it can be resolved, and I put my user and pass, my site name, domain name... Everything. What do I do? I'm currently using the Core FTP Lite, and use x10hosting. I don't know what the problem is. I must be doing something wrong.

Thank you for all your help so far though! :3

Last edited by toastie (09-16-2008 15:34:49)

#6 09-17-2008 06:12:00

Waccoon
Administrator

One thing I've experienced is that an FTP program will just seem to freeze and never actually get a file listing.  Unfortunately, not all FTP programs will talk to each other.  If you're not getting a specific error message, and the program just seems to sit there trying to connect forever, you might have to try a different FTP program.

Try CoffeCup
or FileZilla to see if you have better luck with those programs.  CoffeeCup is a bit simpler, but FileZilla is more popular and is likely to be more compatible.

Usually, authorization can be troublesome, but just connecting should be straightforward and give at least some message if a solid connection could not be made.

#7 09-17-2008 14:45:45

toastie

DOUBLE EDIT: Alright. I get it now. The only thing I need is I want to know which files I need to make writable. I don't want to do something wrong, mess it up, and do it over.

Last edited by toastie (09-17-2008 15:51:01)

#8 09-18-2008 03:31:16

Waccoon
Administrator

If you "mess up" the file permissions, you can just fix it after the board is installed.  The diagnostics page will tell you if something isn't working.

All you really have to do is make the resource folder and templates folder writable, by CHMODing them to 775 (or check "group write" permission).  This allows you to create new templates.  You should also CHMOD all the files in the templates folder to 664 (or check "group write" permission), which will allow you to edit existing templates.

All the other folders and files the board needs should be created automatically.  After installation, log in as the owner and check the diagnostics page located on the admin menu.  It will tell you if anything is "locked", or not writable.  If your server says that the root folder ("./") is locked, that's unusual, but nothing to worry about.

Oh yeah, and if the installer doesn't like the MySQL information you type in, just run the installer again and try something else.  There's really no need to recopy files.

#9 09-18-2008 15:18:00

toastie

Thanks! I think I can do this now. I'll let you know if I get stuck again.

EDIT: Damn. The server is all wacked. What is wrong? I  CHMOD'd everything I needed to I'm pretty sure but when I try to access the install page thingy, is says:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@toastierawr.x10hosting.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.9 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.8b mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at toastierawr.x10hosting.com Port 80

I really, really, want to smash my computer right now.

Last edited by toastie (09-18-2008 15:43:16)

#10 09-19-2008 01:46:03

Waccoon
Administrator

An Internal Server Error happens when the server doesn't want to send a page for some reason.  It can be very difficult to track down the reason if this is related to the server's security policy.

Try using a CHMOD number of 777 for the folders, instead of 775.  Also, if you copied the ".htaccess" file from the documentation folder to the server, try removing it.  If that doesn't work, I'm willing to install the board for you if you don't mind giving me your login information.  There's a whole bunch of things that can cause an Internal Server Error.

You can reach me here: my e-mail address.

#11 09-19-2008 15:32:31

toastie

Thanks so much! I will try and make these changes, and if it doesn't work, I'll write you.

#12 05-28-2009 04:20:10

Waccoon
Administrator

Server 500 errors can be caused by a lot of things, and are typically related to security, as in, the server doesn't want to serve pages.

You'd have to check your web server's error log to find out what the problem is.  How you do that varies from server to server, and some free servers don't allow it at all.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB