NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 09-23-2009 23:21:53

Kizzy

Headers already sent error

Okay! I think I broke the oekaki. Being the learn-by-doing coder that I am, I like to modify files and use PHP in the notice. I am a super admin and I manage all the technical stuff on the oekaki, but the owner is a different person. (See where this is going?)

When I upgraded from 1.3.14 or something like that to 1.4.3 (oh, and this is a fresh install, was never OekakiPoteto), I noticed that it wouldn't let me submit PHP in the notice anymore. So I did the following things:

1. Changed my rank in phpMyAdmin to 9, to see if there were any options in the control panel to modify this, and seeing none, changing my rank back to 7 the same way. I changed the data by modifying my entry in the table of the interface, not giving a line of code.

2. Looked around in the PHP files for anything that could be blocking me. In functions.php, I found these:

Code:

if ($flags['admin']) {
        if (!$flags['owner']) {
            check_php_code($newsedit);
            check_php_code($banneredit);
        }

3. Without giving it much thought or examination, I changed them to:

Code:

//    if ($flags['admin']) {
//        if (!$flags['owner']) {
//            check_php_code($newsedit);
//            check_php_code($banneredit);
//        }

4. Of course, it started complaining of an unexpected '}', so I removed the '//' from the first line. I think that was when it started having problems but I don't remember very well. I removed the rest of the '//'s which I'd inserted but it still wasn't doing anything. *sigh*

5. The members and I started getting error messages like these, which I looked at the lines for and could find nothing wrong with the actual code. No stray spaces or anything. Not that I understood most of it.

Code:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/a/j/a/ajacon/html/php_uploads/somefiles/functions.php:1) in /home/content/a/j/a/ajacon/html/php_uploads/somefiles/common.php on line 156

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/a/j/a/ajacon/html/php_uploads/somefiles/functions.php:1) in /home/content/a/j/a/ajacon/html/php_uploads/somefiles/common.php on line 228

6. I reuploaded functions.php and common.php several times, ran the updater a few more times just in case that might do anything, and am now stuck with these error messages.

7. I FOUND the setting in hacks.php which would allow me to post using PHP in the notice! YAY! But now I still have these errors.

...</newbiefail>

What did I break and how can I fix it?

#2 09-23-2009 23:31:15

Kizzy

Re: Headers already sent error

OH! Forgot to mention. We only get those errors when we try to do something, and it may or may not prevent the action. For instance, I CAN modify the notice now, but I get an error afterwards. People CAN comment, and apparently post pictures, and the error happens there too. But, one of the members CAN'T login, and I pasted that member's errors as examples.

#3 09-25-2009 01:35:30

Waccoon
Administrator

People CAN comment, and apparently post pictures, and the error happens there too.

Okay, so this isn't just a problem with the banner/notice, right?

What bugs me is this:

Code:

output started at /home/content/a/j/a/ajacon/html/php_uploads/somefiles/functions.php:1

This means that the "functions.php" file is printing something on the very first line, which it shouldn't do.  I seriously doubt that your edits are causing the problem.  I know there are some web servers with security policies that prevent "functions.php" from running correctly, because they print an error code when the script starts.

I'll need a link to the board to figure out what's going on (e-mail me if you don't want to post it publicly).  No matter what, functions.php shouldn't print anything until it gets to at least line 106.

BTW, the errors you printed above are for when someone is trying to log in, and the server is trying to set a cookie.  If the cookie doesn't work, people can't log in.  Until we figure out why your server doesn't like the new "functions.php" file, the board is going to have serious problems.

#4 09-25-2009 10:17:53

Kizzy

Sent you a link. And no, it isn't just a problem with the banner/notice.

#5 09-26-2009 01:52:13

Waccoon
Administrator

I got your e-mail, and sent a link to a new "functions.php" file for you to try:

http://www.ninechime.com/forum/archive/ … -1.4.3.zip

Let me know if this makes a difference.  You can test it by viewing the "functions.php" file directly.  Just type it into the web browser address bar.  If it works, you should get a message that starts with "No mode".  If it's not working, you'll get the same "Warning: Cannot modify header information" error as before.

#6 09-26-2009 09:53:13

Kizzy

Thank you very much, it works now!

#7 09-27-2009 21:07:52

Waccoon
Administrator

Great!  I think a symbol in the comments caused it.  I'll rewrite some things for the next release, just in case other servers have the same issue.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB