NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 02-24-2010 09:13:04

Gordon

Creating a new template?

I managed to install my oekaki properly, and have tried out a few things to make sure everything works, and... it seems great so far! (thanks a lot for the help and making this possible!)
But hey, back to the topic... what I was wondering is - how do you create a whole new template for the board?
I've tried fiddling around a little by changing the colors and such of an already existing template and then upload it (but it won't work, of course) so yeah... how do you actually do it?

#2 02-27-2010 09:16:01

patchwork

Re: Creating a new template?

I would like to know how to do this, too. ; ;

#3 03-01-2010 03:20:23

Waccoon
Administrator

Choose one of the PHP files in the templates folder and make a copy of it under a new name.  I recommend "Classic" as a starting point, rather than the default Banana template.  Don't make a copy of the corresponding CSS file.  The CSS files are generated automatically when the template is first used.  If you're modifying the CSS file, then your changes won't work.  You have to modify the PHP version of the template file.

If you're an admin, just upload the new PHP file to the server and edit your profile to use it.  The template will build a CSS file which is used by web browsers.  If you're not logged in as an admin, templates will build the first time they are used, but won't rebuild when you make more changes to them later.

You might have to hit the reload button in your web browser to get changed templates to work.  Web browsers will cache CSS files and may not realize the files have been updated unless you explicitly reload the page.

#4 03-01-2010 14:06:21

Gordon

Hmm ok, I tried once again but didn't mange to fix it... But maybe I'm having a different problem?
I've tried uploading in different ways, updating and everything like that... but every time I get this error page as I change template, and can't even acess the website any longer until I delete the file I added to the templates folder... when I go to my oekaki page I get the usual error message, and it opens up my Dreamweaver program and says "No mode!  Some security policies, censoring, filtering, or advertisements on shared servers may interfere with comments and other POST data.  Ask your admin for help."
Also as I copy or upload the .php file a .css file never pops up... hmm something I'm doing wrong or is it something wrong with the website?

#5 03-02-2010 05:53:02

Waccoon
Administrator

when I go to my oekaki page I get the usual error message, and it opens up my Dreamweaver program and says "No mode!  Some security policies, censoring, filtering, or advertisements on shared servers may interfere with comments and other POST data.  Ask your admin for help."

Are you trying to modify the PHP template with Dreamweaver?  You need to use a plain text editor like Notepad or a code editor like Turbopad.  An HTML/CSS editor like Dreamweaver will not work correctly because there's PHP code in the template file and that code might get corrupted by Dreamweaver.

If the template becomes corrupt, the CSS file won't build, and the board might ignore configuration changes, such as choosing a new template.  That's probably where the "No Mode" error is coming from.

Also as I copy or upload the .php file a .css file never pops up... hmm something I'm doing wrong or is it something wrong with the website?

Yeah, I think you're using the wrong kind of text editor to modify the template.

#6 03-04-2010 04:33:29

Gordon

Hmm ok, I thought dreamweaver worked since it didn't seem to create any files different from the already existing one, but yeah.. good to know!
Though I've tried using NotePad too, editing, copying, rewriting... all that stuff, the files don't seem any different from the other but I still get the same problem >.<
I tried dowloading TurboPad to see if it would work any better, but I can't even open up the program :I is there any other option I have?

#7 03-04-2010 17:44:35

Waccoon
Administrator

Try sending the modified template to my e-mail, and I'll take a look at it.  If the templates that came with the board are working fine, but you can't add new templates, there probably isn't anything wrong with the templates folder permissions or things like that.

#8 03-05-2010 15:42:01

Gordon

Ok thanks! I will

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB