NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 06-25-2010 21:50:43

Fudrats

Blank canvases in retouch + animation

Hello, I have just set up an oekaki http://www.thepear.net/oekaki .
It's been going good, except the retouch only works if you reload the canvas, but then it merges all the layers, even if it's on animation.

Also, (killing two birds with one stone sorry) the animations won't load. As in, the animation program works and loads fully, but it only shows a blank canvas.

I've tried chmoding it to 775 and 777, but it didn't make any difference. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Last edited by Fudrats (06-28-2010 16:58:15)

#2 06-29-2010 03:37:19

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Blank canvases in retouch + animation

Short answer: this is a web server technical issue, and will require help from a system administrator.  Both animation playback and retouching are related to this issue.  Send the following information to your hosting service in a support ticket, and see what they say:

=====

Your server appears to be running Windows and the Microsoft IIS web server.  Unfortunately, some installations of IIS will not serve file types without registered MIME types.  As far as I know, IIS is the only web server with this problem in its default configuration.

Usually, the animation files are in the pictures folder, but the server simply will not allow people to download and use them.  If you view the oekaki diagnostics page, it will show you the count of animation files in the pictures folder.  If there's a few dozen PCH files showing up, but you can't view any animations through the oekaki, then MIME types must be added to IIS, as described in the oekaki manual (under "Animations won't play"):

http://www.ninechime.com/products/Wacintaki_Poteto/manual.html#t9

The types are:
PCH = video/x-pch
SPCH = video/x-spch
CHI = video/x-chi
OEB = video/x-oeb

#3 06-29-2010 21:23:54

Fudrats

It turns out my server doesn't support these file types. Is there any way to add these file types, or do I have to switch servers?

#4 06-30-2010 05:17:56

Waccoon
Administrator

Only a system administrator can add new file types to an IIS server.  Are you paying for your hosting, or is it free?  If it's a paid hosting plan, they might allow these types to be supported.  If it's a free hosting plan, your only option is to switch servers.

As a temporary solution, when retouching pictures in ShiPainter, there is a section at the bottom of the screen that says "If canvas is blank or broken, click here to import canvas, not animation."  Clicking that link will disable the animation and import the picture directly.  That will allow retouching.  I had to make this hack for another issue, but it also gets around the ISS file type problem.

#5 07-10-2010 13:57:33

Fudrats

I have an option of switching to a Linux type server without moving my site. Would this fix the problem?

#6 07-11-2010 02:16:25

Waccoon
Administrator

If the animation filetypes are the culprit, then yes.

Linux is a better host, anyway, if you don't need the features which are specific to IIS.  If you don't know what those features are, then you don't need them.  wink

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB