NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 11-24-2005 02:07:35

kendra

few questions

nice forums I like punBB

Hi, I have a few questions maybe u can help with?

Okay I love the whole concept of Poteto. We have a paintboard and users love it.

RE: Wacintaki Poteto 1.2.4

what is the difference is between Oekaki and Wacintaki. Can you please clarify which version is the most recent and stable.I installed them both and took a look at them both and found that this one (with the bananna skin) works best

I tested a few accounts and found that when script sends a activation link , the user gets no notice to goto there email and confirm, or that registation was sucessful, it just re-directs back to the index page like nothing happend.

It does send the link fine but stumps the user until they find it the next time they check there email .I know I can disable it but I perfer email verification to help regulate multi-accounts.

Is there a list of available mods (hacks) for Wacintaki Poteto 1.2.4?

Im think one thing that makes me stuck is there is a few different editors users can choose? well am I suppose to allow all should I turn some off and, is there even a way to?

Thats about it ~_~ I think im having fun with it well tks

~Kendra ~

Last edited by kendra (11-24-2005 02:10:38)

Windows: a 32-bit extension and a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to a 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor, written by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

#2 11-24-2005 22:18:10

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: few questions

what is the difference is between Oekaki and Wacintaki. Can you please clarify which version is the most recent and stable.I installed them both and took a look at them both and found that this one (with the bananna skin) works best

Wacintaki is a more thourough recode of Oekaki Poteto, and changes a lot of functionality compared to the original. It has more notifications and error-handling than Wax, and customization is easier if you know what you are doing (CSS and PHP).

Wax is designed to use the original OekakiPoteto interface, and has only minor cosmetic improvements.  It's mostly about fixing bugs.

Overall, I'd say Wacintaki is more stable and secure, because some OekakiPoteto problems are caused by a lack of code design, and I replace things as necessary.  Wax has more hacks in it, because I want it to be strictly backwards-compatible with OP (a lot of people who didn't like Wacintaki were asking for this).

Neither project is very robust, so they are recommended for small-time web sites, consisting of a few hundred members.  I can't really think of any large, community-based oekakis except for Oekaki Central, 2Draw, and OCELOT, all of which are proprietary and are not available for download.

I tested a few accounts and found that when script sends a activation link , the user gets no notice to goto there email and confirm, or that registation was sucessful, it just re-directs back to the index page like nothing happend.

It does send the link fine but stumps the user until they find it the next time they check there email .I know I can disable it but I perfer email verification to help regulate multi-accounts.

The directions for activation are shown prior to registration.  Adding some kind of confirmation is a good idea, now that I fixed the login problem with Microsoft servers.

Is there a list of available mods (hacks) for Wacintaki Poteto 1.2.4?

No.  I do know of a phpBB integration project, and some people have added avatars, but Wacintaki doesn't really have an architecture for mods, so any mods made are version-specific and difficult to maintain.

Really, Wacintaki has to be redone from scratch.  It was made to be an improvement over OekakiPoteto, but doesn't really allow for much further expansion.

1.3 will be the last version of Wacintaki, which will have group project support.  After that, I'll be working on a brand new oekaki system, based on an existing, well-designed content management system (Drupal is my first choice -- the code quality is phenominal).  That will make it much, much more robust and easier to add new features as modules.

Im think one thing that makes me stuck is there is a few different editors users can choose? well am I suppose to allow all should I turn some off and, is there even a way to?

Do you mean the paint applets or the admin functions (delete pictures, edit comments, etc.)?

Applets have to be added or removed manually be editing "draw.php".

Admin functions cannot be customized without some problems.  You can edit member permissions from the "Edit Permissions" menu item, but all you can really do is change access to draw, upload files, and make them immune to the auto-deletion feature.

#3 11-28-2005 18:10:20

kendra

Thankies  Wacoon smile

We have alot of artists, mostly anime artists,  that love to draw, when we completely re-wrote our PaintBoard script the results were amazing, now its the biggest in the world with almost 3000 drawings.

see our version here
https://insarnia.ca/paintboard

Im so supprised that some are stuck on the old one still, but I think once they catch on it will be just as popular

We have a habbit of mod'ing scripts and making them uninque, this one is very nice already,  it will be interesting to see what the team comes up with.

Do you know a way we can display a message that tells user to goto email to click activation link? Im sure we can come up with something but you prob know alot better then us.

PS: You should upgrade this PunBB forums to a current version.  There is a SQL Injection issue and some other potential security threats with this version.

~Thankies again~
Kendra Adams
InSarnia Team
https://insarnia.ca/poteto/waki.php

Last edited by kendra (11-28-2005 18:17:33)

Windows: a 32-bit extension and a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to a 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor, written by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

#4 11-30-2005 04:29:40

Waccoon
Administrator

https://insarnia.ca/paintboard

I'm not sure what's going on here, since I can't get any pictures to display.  Is this just a test page?

Do you know a way we can display a message that tells user to goto email to click activation link? Im sure we can come up with something but you prob know alot better then us.

In functions.php, after registration information has been processed, a redirect is required to print a message on the screen.  There's not much else to it (cookies are set when people verify the account).

I'll be adding this in 1.2.5, hopefully this weekend, because what gets printed obviously depends on what registration options have been selected in the control panel.

PS: You should upgrade this PunBB forums to a current version.  There is a SQL Injection issue and some other potential security threats with this version.

I'm using the latest version, 1.2.10.  I assume you're thinking of 1.2.1?

#5 11-30-2005 11:36:11

kendra

RE: PaintBoard
VML is not compatible Mozilla or NS, try viewing a picture with Internet Explorer, there are some gorgeous drawings.

RE: Display a confirmation message
I guess that makes sense, to just use a simple redirect, maybe after they submit we can

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="2;url=confirmreg.php">

RE: PunBB Update
My bad sorry, your version is up to date, I had a blonde minute, we just upgraded from 1.28 so when I thought I read 1.21 I wrote that.

We use PunBB for our  support forums because its very easy to intregrate with existing site templates or add content, ( see here ) plus it looks like its part if the site theme, but users really love WowBB, the one we use for Club Wacintaki Im guessing because they can PM, use avatars, and other stuff.

I think our admin is planning on switching to wowBB for everything, I like PunBB but it still has bugs not to mention were left  having to do updates updates every 2 weeks it seems which can be a pain in the azz if its modified.

Neways Did you say your making a minor version update this weekend to address some small issues like the confirmation issue? Ill keep an eye out.

Thankies Wacoooooon ~huggies~

tongue Kendra

Last edited by kendra (11-30-2005 12:01:43)

#6 12-01-2005 04:26:20

Waccoon
Administrator

VML is not compatible Mozilla or NS, try viewing a picture with Internet Explorer, there are some gorgeous drawings.

Aww...  ActiveX ruins everything.  sad

I have IE set by default to prompt ActiveX.  Some sites ask me 8-10 times if I want to run ActiveX controls.  Unless it's a Flash-heavy site, I generally close the browser window and don't go back.  That's part of the reason I've never had a single virus or spamware app on my machine in the last 10 years.  wink

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="2;url=confirmreg.php">

That's one way to do it.  You can also just use an HTTP redirect (header ("Location: confirmreg.php");).  Since we're not setting a cookie, Microsoft IIS isn't bothered by this.

I think our admin is planning on switching to wowBB for everything, I like PunBB but it still has bugs not to mention were left  having to do updates updates every 2 weeks it seems which can be a pain in the azz if its modified.

I like it because it's small, compared to pigs like phpBB.  I don't spend much time on forums, anyway, so something minimal is OK for me.

I originally used miniBB, but it had strange ways of handling administration, and I think I had an issue or two with how it used .htaccess files.  I hate that.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB