NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 01-02-2006 06:33:42

Ren

Different resolutions?

Hello, i'm totally new to this thing(i mean anything related to html, php...everything) and i thought that starting from something i like like oekaki would have been a good start.
I was actually able to install wacintaki(all by myself, yay!>_<), and i'm really grateful for the clear intsructions: if i made it anyone can :3I'm Italian and even though they're in English i could understand everything without too much effort.

I have one curiousity though...
I tried searching the forums and looking around the oekaki folder before coming here and asking anything but couldn't find an answer(sorry._.):
I draw at keladry oekaki sometimes and I noticed that the lines there are much smoother than in many other boards.
Most of the time i would have to use a huge canvas to obtain the kind of lines i want, in that board i can use a small one and be really happy with the result.

So my question is: is there anywhere a tutorial or anyone kind enough to tell me how to change the resolution step by step?

Thanks in advance!

#2 01-02-2006 16:29:19

sfox8

Re: Different resolutions?

>.> actually i've realized this same thing at keladry and some other boards. i never really thought much about it until you mention it now. I guess I'm not the only one then XD

Maybe alex is using a different version of the applet?

#3 01-02-2006 22:31:24

Waccoon
Administrator

I'm not really sure what you mean by smooth lines or where you're seeing them (thumbnails, or in the applet themselves).  However, here's my take on this:

1) PaintBBS doesn't have as many pen options as ShiPainter.  ShiPainter has a watercolor tool, for example.  Getting smooth lines in PainBBS isn't impossible, but more difficult.

2) Different versions of the applets do produce smoother lines than others when using the airbrush/watercolor tools.  This has caused trouble with animations on occasion, but nothing truly outstanding.

3) Different thumbnail modes can affect the way images look on the index page.  Normally, Wacintaki shows pictures at actual size unless they are really huge.  You can choose uniformity mode in the Control Panel that will make all thumbnails the same size.  If pictures are resized as thumbnails, they generally look smoother (or blurrier, take your pick).  Uniformity mode is designed to help people with major bandwidth issues, but can be used to make the BBS more consistent (no vertical layouts are used, for example).

4) Wax poteto handles thumbnails very differently than Wacintaki.

5) If you're referring to the actual art on the BBS, some people there may just be more fluent with the airbrush/watercolor tools than on other boards.

6) If you're drawing pictures exactly double the size of thumbnails, they will look better when scaled down to thumbnails.  If thumbnails are 200x200, for example, a 400x400 source image will end up looking better as a thumbnail than a 500x500 image.

#4 01-03-2006 06:28:16

Ren

I'm sorry, i didn't explain too well.

What i meant is that when i draw in that board in a...let's say 300X300 canvas?It looks as if i was drawing in photoshop  and in other boards, with the same applet(shi painter), same tool(pen) and same size(300X300)it looks as if the canvas itself was made of less pixels per inch.
It can't be the tool or the skills XD because i'm the same person, but for some reason on most boards if you draw a line it comes all pixxellish, on Keladry on the other hand you have to zoom in a lot of times to see the lines pixelled, even if the size is the same.

Also, i remember that Alex herself wrote something about the resolution where she explains how to upload a picture...if i only remembered where exactly>_<
Anyway, it was something about the resolution or quality being different in many boards, that's why i guessed it was possible to change it somewhere:3

Thankyou for the quick reply and for the work you do on Wacintaki btw!

#5 01-05-2006 03:19:43

Waccoon
Administrator

Ohhhh... I see.  I'm too used to PaintBBS, and only ShiPainter does that.  smile

I guess if the applet is too small to fit the canvas, the applet may deafult to 50% zoom.  I haven't seen this happen myself, so I'm not sure why some boards would do it and others wouldn't.  I would think this happens only on boards with a really big default canvas.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB