NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 07-28-2014 09:49:53

Tiger

PaintBBS Applet Not Loading Properly

Hello!

I have just installed Wacintaki 1.5.14 and when I use PaintBBS, it does not work properly. The "submit" and "full view" buttons do not appear, and the canvas does not become a canvas but just a visual copy of the screen I was just looking at. Example:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/Gryphonlover/needhelpforumostpic_zps2b549905.png

I do have the latest version of Java and have installed the patch update. Is this a browser issue, code issue, or something else?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

-Tiger

#2 07-29-2014 05:24:03

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: PaintBBS Applet Not Loading Properly

Hard to say.  What's happening is that either the web browser isn't updating the screen when the page loads.  This could be because Java isn't loading at all and the web browser doesn't know it, or there's a hardware acceleration issue with your graphics driver.  I know from experience that ATI/AMD video cards and Java don't get along well, and all my problems went away when I got an nVidia card.

By the look of the interface, I assume you're using Firefox as your web browser.  The first thing I think worth trying is to disable hardware acceleration in the browser to see if that helps.  In Firefox, this can be done by going to Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General -> "Use hardware acceleration when available."  In Chrome, go to the menu -> Settings -> Show Advanced Settings -> System -> "Use hardware acceleration when available."

With either web browser, you'll have to close and restart it before the changes take effect.  If disabling hardware acceleration doesn't have any impact, be sure to turn that feature back on, since it makes the web browser faster.

By default, Wacintaki already tries to disable hardware acceleration in Java by passing a parameter to the applet (due to the issues I had with AMD video cards).  There's no settings you have to change in Java.

Another possibility is that the web browser or an extension is blocking Java from running.  Over the last year, many web browsers have been very cranky about running Java applets, especially if your version of Java is a few weeks out of date.  If you get any prompts asking about Java, be sure to answer "Always run Java applets on this web site" or something similar.  I've had issues where if I tried to authorize Java on a case-by-case basis, the web browser would glitch or refuse to load Java anyway.

#3 08-16-2014 11:16:36

Tiger

Unfortunately disabling hardware acceleration did not work. Does this mean I'll need a new video card? I've never had this issue with this video card before. I have not added or removed any extensions and enabling/disabling my current ones did not change anything.

#4 08-17-2014 07:19:11

Waccoon
Administrator

The only thing I can recommend is to try using the Java Console to see if any error messages are showing up.  To run the Java Console, follow the directions on this page: Java.com

Once you enable the console, it will start automatically when you visit the page with the paint applet.  Don't close the console until you're done with it, because you have to restart your web browser to get the console to open again.

Normally the console will show a few keyboard reference commands.  If it shows all kinds of error messages, copy and paste them into your next forum post and I'll see what I can figure out.  If there's no error messages, well, I'm not sure what to recommend.

Sorry this is so complicated, but Java is such a pain in the butt at times.

#5 08-17-2014 10:22:56

Tiger

I updated my Java from 7 65 to 7 67 (the newest) and it's working. I swear I had updated Java beforehand, maybe this is a new update since. But yeah, everything is working, thanks a million for the help!

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB