NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 07-08-2023 18:52:42

nemi

Installation error

Hello! I'm trying to install the latest version of Wacintaki on my server, but I get the following error:

--

Wrote database config file.
Wrote config file.

Wrote base “resource??  folder files.

Starting to set up database.
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'rank) VALUES ('xxxxx, 'xxxxxxxxxxxxx' at line 1 [admin]
[cache]
Finished setting up database.

--

(the x'd parts appeared to be the username and password so I took them out)

The board was installed but it looks like it failed to create the admin account?  When I try to login it says "The username you are trying to retrieve to does not exist".

#2 07-09-2023 01:45:05

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Installation error

I think I know what's going on here, as I've been able to reproduce this after a clean installation.  It's likely the database was created correctly, but the processing of cookies and login information isn't working right.

I'm rewriting quite a few things right now and will try to get a patch to you within a day.

#3 07-09-2023 06:28:30

Waccoon
Administrator

Okay, what happened here is that the "standard" registration filters out quotes and other symbols from regular usernames, but the installer for the admin account doesn't.  That was a major oversight and it means it's possible for the admin account to have quotes in usernames and that messes things up.  I could've sworn the installer validated the admin username, but... it doesn't.  Oops.

The fact the board does not support quotes in names has been a longstanding problem that I've ignored for too long.  I've decided to fix the board to allow names and passwords to contain all visible characters.  I have an initial patch that I've been testing all day and things seem to be working, but do please let me know if you encounter any problems.  You should be able to log in to the board after installing this patch without needing to reinstall or create a new database.

1.6.9 to 1.6.10 alpha patch

If for some reason you don't feel comfortable using the alpha patch, you'll need to delete your database and reinstall the board with a username that only contains alphanumeric characters.

I'll do more testing this week with my own oekaki board to make sure everything is working and secure, and then update the official archive soon.

#4 07-09-2023 12:57:52

nemi

Thank you, but unfortunately I'm still getting the same login error. Was there anything else that needed to be done besides uploading the patch files? FYI my username didn't have quotes and it only used alphanumeric characters.

Also are accounts supposed to be stored in the op_oekaki table? I checked mine and it's completely empty, so I'm back to thinking the admin account was never created. (Disclaimer I'm not very knowledgeable about mySQL, but I can view and edit the database with phpMyAdmin if that helps with troubleshooting)

I also tried a reinstall with a different username, and again got the same errors.

#5 07-10-2023 03:49:54

Waccoon
Administrator

Huh... I thought for sure it was a quotes issue based on the error you showed in your first post.  I know exactly where the installer is having a problem, but there should be no issues trying to insert the board owner information, so I'm not sure what's going on here.

I did some significant rework of the database error reporting in the installer.  Try this new installer and let's see if we can get some more specific information.

1.6.10 update

#6 07-10-2023 18:56:00

nemi

Getting an even longer error when I install.  Works the same as before, board installs but no admin account.

---

Wrote database config file.
Wrote config file.

Wrote base "resource"  folder files.

Starting to set up database.
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'rank) VALUES ('xxxxxxx', 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' at line 1
db: install.php(718)::db_query > You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'rank) VALUES ('xxxxxxx', 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxx' at line 1
q: `INSERT INTO `op_oekaki` (usrname, usrpass, usrflags, email, name, comment, joindate, language, rank) VALUES ('xxxxxxx', 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx', 'GDMIU', 'xxxx@xxxxxxx.net', 'Administrator', 'Administrator Account', CURDATE(), 'english', 9)`
[admin]:

db: >
q: `CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `op_oekakicache` ( `name` VARCHAR(50) NOT NULL, `built` INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, `expires` INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, `data` TEXT, PRIMARY KEY (`name`), UNIQUE KEY `name` (`name`) ) ENGINE=MyISAM CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci`
[cache]:

Finished setting up database.

#7 07-10-2023 22:36:55

Waccoon
Administrator

I figured this out.  As it turns out, the word "rank" is a new reserved keyword in the latest version of MySQL.  The proper fix for this is to rewrite all the SQL queries so all fields are quoted.  According to the SQL documentation this shouldn't be necessary, but... people change their minds all the time.

I'll get on this now, but my server (and thus, my development system) still uses SQL 5, so testing this might take a day or two.

I also discovered another severe issue with PHP 8.2 and file uploads.  This is now working correctly, too.

Edit: Here's a new version of 1.6.10 alpha.  Lots of files have changed, but make sure to upload all of them.  I'm fairly certain this will fix your issue, but it will take at least a week or so for me to make sure it's stable before it can be officially released.  Thanks for your patience.

Last edited by Waccoon (07-11-2023 00:54:48)

#8 07-12-2023 19:06:24

nemi

Awesome, thanks!  Board installs without errors now.

The board itself seems to be working, but I'm getting errors when trying to save with some of the applets.

ChickenPaint: Sorry, your drawing could not be saved, please try again later. An error occurred while uploading. Try again.
Chibipaint: Error while sending the oekaki...null
Paintbbs: null please push send button again

ShiPainter & ShiPainter Pro seem to be the only ones that can save a picture to the board.

(and oops sorry about those multiple posts the other day!)

#9 07-12-2023 22:38:45

Waccoon
Administrator

Wow, really?  ShiPainter works but ChickenPaint doesn't?  It sounds like the server isn't accepting file uploads and this might be tricky to diagnose.

There's no way to get more info from PaintBBS due to limits with the old Java applets, but I've added some more error reporting to ChickenPaint.  Rather than just give a generic error, it will try to give a specific upload error and we can go from there.

1.6.10_nemi.zip

One thing that comes to mind is that you should try viewing your board using HTTPS rather than HTTP.  Some servers may not allow file uploads unless you're viewing the board using the secure version of the HTTP protocol.  Many servers do that automatically these days, but it's worth verifying.

#10 07-14-2023 10:39:03

nemi

Yeah, it is odd.  It's not a big deal for me if the old applets don't work (I don't think many people will use them), but I figure Chickenpaint should at least work.

After the patch Chickenpaint says: "Missing a temporary folder."

I've been making sure the url has HTTPS when I use it (domain also has HTTPS redirect on).

#11 07-14-2023 21:36:40

Waccoon
Administrator

Well, dangit... that's the problem.  Your host has file uploads disabled.  ShiPainter uses a streaming method for sending data to the server, but ChickenPaint uses multipart encoded HTTP, so that qualifies as a file upload.

This is an issue you'll have to resolve with your hosting service.  In the BBS, go to the "Diagnostics" menu, and then look in the Config section for PHP Information.  Click on "click for more details" to get to the PHP configuration panel.  From there, search for "file_uploads" and "upload_tmp_dir" for more information on how the server is configured.  It's okay for the default temp folder to have no value, but if file uploads are off, there's nothing that can be done by the BBS to get around this.

#12 07-23-2023 18:43:04

nemi

Uploads were turned on in the diagnostics, but then I did some poking around in cPanel and... ChickenPaint works now! (not exactly sure what I did, but hey it works)  ChibiPaint & PaintBBS still don't work, but like I said, no big deal.  Thanks so much for your help!

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB