NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 06-12-2006 17:50:42

silter

Problem on Installing

Blah, trouble D:

I installed wackintaki 1.3.1 without any previous version and CHMOD'd everything as it said to in the manual:
/language   CHMOD 644
/resource   CHMOD 755
/shipainter CHMOD 644
/templates  CHMOD 755
/smilies    CHMOD 644

I was using SmartFTP client and manually changed .php files to recognize that it was uploaded in ASCII mode and then ran the installer to find that it couldn't read the file andwanted me to CHMOD REs. and temp. to 777 so I did and ran it again to have it say it couldn't read a few lines in the installer in english (line 37 if that helps any?), but I could still make out what it was trying to ask me so I went ahead with the installer anyway and hit enter and then this popped up:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/ … 213558.jpg

No idea what that means o-o;

My website is here and after hitting enter again it turned into this:
http://www.digitaldistraction.net/oekaki

Anyone have any idea on what went wrong? D:

Last edited by silter (06-13-2006 00:38:54)

#2 06-13-2006 05:43:30

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Problem on Installing

First of all, the database isn't working.  It can connect to the MySQL server just fine (all the login info is correct), but no database is being selected.  Make sure the name of the database is typed in correctly, and that the server has not put a prefix on the database name, like, "accountname_oekaki" instead of just "oekaki".

Once that's resolved, you'll have to re-install the board.  Right now there's nothing actually in the database, so you don't have to empty the database first.

Now, the permissions can be trickier.  Each server can have its own special security policies, so "standard" CHMOD numbers may not work.  I can see that the templates and resource folders are not writable, so you may have to set them to 775.  If that doesn't work, try 754 or 750.  Some servers will not allow folders to be accessible to PHP if the public execute bit is set (last of the three digits).  If that doesn't work, try 774.  If that's still giving you trouble, you may have to check your host's FAQ or ask a sysadmin for help.  Tell your admin that the templates and resource folders must only be writable to PHP, and may or may not be readable to the public.

I can also see that the read-only folders (such as "smilies"), are not viewable to the public, and more importantly, files within those folders cannot be viewed.  That's bad, and you may want to check the FAQ to see if there's some special permission that needs to be set to make the folders viewable to the public.  Unfortunately, some system administrators are pretty paranoid about security, and demand that things are done only a special way.  644 is supposed to be the correct number.  Try 655 (a lousy guess, but worth a try).

#3 06-13-2006 06:53:35

Lupin

I don't know if this will help or if you got it now, but you can try uploading the files with your FTP set on "auto" in order for the appropriate files to be in binary or ascii (otherwise set it manually for the files if auto doesn't work - for me wacintaki + smart ftp worked on auto! :).   
Then if you still need to, what I did when an older board/server combo I used to use didn't work was chmod everything including the directory to 777 or as high as possible.  If it works you can test out lowering some of the chmod settings.

Last edited by Lupin (06-13-2006 06:55:55)

#4 06-13-2006 15:56:08

silter

Thanks a bunch for all of this ^^

I tried all the numbers you suggested (and set SmartFTP to auto) I couldn't get into install on any of the numbers untill I used 777 on templates and resource. From there I entered in my real database name (woops o.o; ) and theeen this popped up:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/ … /78547.jpg
I'm positive the datebase name, username, and password are correct, and I think I just made things worse D:

#5 06-14-2006 05:10:20

Waccoon
Administrator

Are you sure the host is "digitald_localhost", and not just "localhost"?  It was connecting before, it just couldn't select a database once connected.

First, you need to figure out what CHMOD number to use so the language file is working.  Once the language file works, the others probably will, too.

Who hosts your web site?  Do they have a main page or help site I could check?

#6 06-14-2006 08:45:01

silter

I'm pretty sure it's digitald_localhost, but I could try the other o.o

wwwfrozenmidnighthosting.com is the host ^^

edit: Switched language to 755 and now I can actually see the instalation! But I tried just localhost and ended up with the same problem I had before o-o I sent a mail to the host and asked about my MySQL server name.

edit again o.o : Ehhhh embrrassed to say but I made a really really stupid mistake and switched up the hostname and the regular name  ^_^'' but everything is working absolutely fine now, thanks /so/ much for all of your help! You guys are lifesavers!!

Ooookay edit again o__O; : Animation doesn't seem to be working on the oekaki:
http://digitaldistraction.net/oekaki

This looks like a problem concerning the host but I'm not sure, how do I describe whats happening to the host? o-o *stupid*

Last edited by silter (06-14-2006 11:10:30)

#7 06-15-2006 04:39:00

Waccoon
Administrator

Use the same permissions for the "shipainter" and "smilies" folders as you do for the "templates" folder.  That should fix the animation problem, because then people will be able to download the animation viewing program.

To test it, try to view this link.  If you get a 403 "forbidden" error, you need to try a different CHMOD number.

#8 06-15-2006 07:07:06

silter

Man you're awesome O: Thank you so so so much!

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB