NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 07-07-2006 08:22:19

Metahari

Upgraded from oekakipoteto 5.x, mostly working...

Hiya,
  After getting shutdown last month for bandwidth overage, thank you extreme spam-bots... I upgraded my oekaki to wacintaki.

The upgrade seemed to go mostly smoothly.

http://oekaki.metahari.com

However, there are some issues I don't know how to resolve. Can someone give me some clarification please?

The first pic shows up because I uploaded it. All other pics do not display because somehow the code doesn't add the .png to the image src link. The pictures are still in their directory, just dont seemed properly linked to the oekaki anymore.

In the control panel, I cannot seem to access any file in resources, despite chmodding it over and over. I can't edit the rules, can't view showrules, can't edit ban or hosts.

I havent tried drawing something new yet, but all the applets do seem to load.

Also, I don't seem to be able to find a banner.php. Where do I get one?

Any hints or tips?

Metahari

Last edited by Metahari (07-08-2006 08:01:46)

#2 07-08-2006 15:43:53

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Upgraded from oekakipoteto 5.x, mostly working...

I have no idea why some servers lose file extensions while most do not.  It might be a MySQL thing.  In the documentation folder of the distibution, there's a file called "fixtypes.php".  Copy that to your oekaki folder and run it.  Then, delete it.  That will rebuild all the filetypes on your board.

To make files writable in the resource folder, the files and the folder itself must be writable.  Use testinfo to check whether the all the required files are writable.  Note that you must be logged in to use this diagnostics file.  If the standard 664 and 775 don't work, try 660 and 760.  If you can't get it to work at all, I can fix it.  Some servers are just fussy.

The banner and rules will be created automatically if they do not exist.  However, the oekeki folder must have correct write permissions to do so.  Once the resource folder is writable, you'll be able to edit these files.

#3 07-09-2006 13:55:50

Metahari

Wow, fixtypes seemed to work like magic. way cool. Was it in the manual? I totally missed it. Thanks!

Now that the pictures are linked right, I clicked on animations, and am getting an error after the java app that loads in the pop up window. (I noticed another poster on this board mentioned animation issues, not sure if this is the same thing, or just related to my locked folder issues)

also, testinfo is pretty cool.
However, this is what it says:

./pictures/       Locked
./templates/     OK
./resource/     Locked
./avatars/     OK
./config.php     OK
./dbconn.php     OK
./resource/banner.php     Missing
./resource/hosts.txt     Locked
./resource/ips.txt     Locked
./resource/notice.php     Locked
./resource/rules.php     Missing

Having all these things locked may be an issue. wink
I went through all the CHMOD numbers you suggested, as well as a few others, 660 and 760 broke testinfo, so I assume those wont work at all. The only chmod that really makes these files 'OK' is 777, which sounds potentially dangerous to me. Also, i dont know when I messed up the pictures folder, because, like I said in my first post I was able to load the Draw! applets, and now clicking Draw! tells me pictures is locked tongue wacky

I really like wacintaki features so far, as well as knowing you're around to trouble shoot the out of the ordinary issues. You Rock!

Thanks for the quick response to my intiial post. big_smile

Last edited by Metahari (07-09-2006 14:04:35)

#4 07-09-2006 17:33:27

Waccoon
Administrator

OK, here's what I can gather:

1) Your server requires execute bits on folders, so don't use 0 as the last CHMOD digit.  This is unusual for PHP scripts, but nothing to worry about.

2) Your folders may still have a CHOWN where PHP is the owner, but it conflicts with Apache (Apache has its own security layers that run in tandem with the OS).  You may not be able to set the CHMOD back to 755, and that may not be a good idea, anyway.

3) 777 isn't that big a deal, and there are some servers that require it if the CHOWN is set to PHP.  I'm not totally sure how it affects local shell access and shared FTP access on your account, but 777 isn't a security threat as far as the web server is concerned.  Originally, OekakiPoteto required all folders to be 777.  On most servers, 777 is not the default, is overkill, and in some cases is disabled entirely.  So, it's a good idea to stick with 755 or 775, but not required.

My recommendation is to set the pictures and resource folders to 777, and use the "reclaim.php" script in the documentation folder to unlock the ban list, notice, and so on.  The reclaim script works by copying the information in locked files to new files and deleting the old ones.  It almost always works, provided the oekaki folder itself is writable.

Once the resource folder is unlocked, the board should have no trouble making banner and rules files when you use each respective editor.  The banner is optional, but you should have a rules file.

#5 07-12-2006 21:10:50

Metahari

Ok, so things are getting better. I did what you suggested.

The drawing aps are once again available, the banner and notice are available.

Remaining quirks.

Animations do not work, i get a 'class' not found in the java applet in the popup.

Users can register, but when they click the link in their email it says it's not a valid address. (they are still registered after I approve them, however)

I still cannot access Rules! resourse/rules.php (it actually doesn't exist yet)

#6 07-13-2006 05:01:33

Waccoon
Administrator

Animations:
Some FTP clients don't know that Java files are binary.  FTP clients normally allow you to switch between ASCII and BINARY modes.  Make sure you are in binary mode, and re-upload all the files that end in ".zip" or ".jar".

I just registered and didn't have any problems.  I was re-directed to the profile editor as normal.

Do you have any specific error messages you can give me?  People tell me about this every now and then, but I've never been able to reproduce the problem.

Rules:
Hmm... I thought the board would make a new file automatically.  Oh well.

I see your banner has a file size of zero.  Download a copy of that file to your computer, rename it to rules.php, upload it to the resource folder, and CHMOD it to 664.  You should then be able to edit the rules.  The file is supposed to be regular HTML, so use the <p> tag or <ul> bullets.

#7 07-13-2006 10:29:31

Metahari

Cool, got the rules working, set the proper permissions on the smilies, and you're right, looks like registration is working... must have been a quirk when I was changing permissions that one time.

I cant find the pch file in your download that the applet says it's looking for
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: pch2.PCHViewer.class  Which file needs to be reuploaded to make it work?

I checked my ftp program (cyberduck) and it uploads everything as binary, unless specified as ascii. All unknown files are uploaded as binary.

We're almost there, thanks!

#8 07-14-2006 04:32:12

Waccoon
Administrator

Sorry, I misread that as "class not initialized", instead of "class not found".  The first error is a lot more common.

I just tried to view the shipainter folder, and the server won't let me in.  That's the folder that has the animation viewer in it.  So, CHMOD that folder so it is no longer "forbidden" to the public, and web browsers will be able to download and run the animation viewer.

Note that the folder only needs to be readable.  Don't go bonkers trying to get that folder to be writable, because that's not required.

#9 07-17-2006 07:50:52

Metahari

yahoo!!! You got it all!

Fantastic! Mucho thanks!

!!

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB