NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 07-08-2006 18:13:10

Waccoon
Administrator

Installation Instructions

NOTE:  These directions are for Wacintaki only.
They are current as of version 1.6.4.

---

1) MySQL DATABASE

How the database is set up varies considerably from host to host.  Login to your web-based server control panel, and you'll be presented with an option to set up and administrate various parts of your account, such as error logs, subdomains, redirects, databases, e-mail accounts, and so on.  Go to the section on databases or "MySQL" (MySQL or MariaDB must be used, as Wax does not support other brands of databases, such as PostgreSQL).  You'll need to create a database, and a username and password for the database.  Unless you cannot choose your own database username, the database name and password should not be the same as your account login, for security reasons.

Important: when creating a database and username, the server may prefix your server login to the name.  For example, if you login to your hosting server with the name "bob", and you try to create a database named "oekaki", the actual name may be "bob_oekaki".  Keep note of this, as the full name of your database must be typed exactly into the Wacintaki installer.

2) UPLOAD FILES

Once you have the database set up, choose where you want to upload the files to the server.  Normally, people use a dedicated site for an oekaki, so the board files will be uploaded directly to the root "/public_html" folder, resulting in a URL such as "www.oekakiserver.com".  If you have an existing web site with multiple pages, the oekaki will run within a subfolder.  This folder may have any name, though you should not use spaces.  For example, if the root FTP of your server has the folder "/public_html", you can create a path "/public_html/oekaki" which will result in the board URL being "www.server.com/oekaki/".  Copy all the Wax files from the "oekaki" folder of your distribution to your server (do not copy the documentation folder).  Note that if your server does have a "public_html" folder, all the oekaki files must go somewhere inside that folder.  Files outside that folder are private and will not show up on the Internet.

After copying the files, you then have to CHMOD certain files using the permission numbers found in the installation instructions.  The appropriate CHMOD numbers are in both the readme file and the manual.  CHMOD means to change the access permissions of a file.  When uploading files with an FTP client, you can usually change permissions by right-clicking on a file, and select "CHMOD" or "Change Permissions" or "Properties" from the context menu.  Then, just select the checkboxes or type in the appropriate number.  The reason for doing this is so the BBS can write files to certain files and folders, as by default, web servers make uploaded files and folders read-only.

All you really need to do is make the files and folders writable, so if you have checkboxes, make sure Group Write permissions are added.  On most servers, this results in a CHMOD number of 664 for files or 775 for folders.  Sometimes, servers don't like the execute bits, so 660 or 770 is required, but this is rare.  Make sure you CHMOD only the files that need to be writable.  All the other files should be left alone.

If you accidentally CHMOD a file that shouldn't be changed, and you don't know how to fix it, simply delete it from the server and re-upload it.

You usually don't have to CHMOD files that are created automatically by the installer.  Some servers do not even allow you to CHMOD files that are created by the installer.  However, if you have to move these files manually, you must CHMOD them after they are moved.  So, if you have the need to move "config.php", for example, you must CHMOD it with Group Write permissions after you FTP it back to the server.  To "fix" permissions of a file, copy it to your computer, delete the file from the server, re-upload it, and then CHMOD it.

3) RUN INSTALLER

View the board in a web browser, and you will be redirected to the installer.

The "Database Hostname" in the installer will almost always be "localhost" (all lower-case).  If it is not, the host name should be somewhere in your server's FAQ.  If you're really stuck, ask your system administrator what it is.  If "localhost" is wrong, it will usually be something like "sql1.server.com", or "sql.serverdb.com".

Most information in the installer is set to the default, but make sure you specify a registration e-mail, the URL to OekakiPoteto is correct, and you set a proper admin login at the bottom.  Also note that the Picture Name Prefix cannot be changed after installation.

Last edited by Waccoon (02-17-2017 20:10:54)

#2 07-02-2012 13:11:45

Juliefoo

Re: Installation Instructions

I've successfully weaved my way through steps 1-4. Now I'm at Step 5, the installer.

I typed in my website, and this: (i have to put spaces because your site does not allow urls. but i copied what you had in the instructions)
ht tp://w ww.your website.com/yourWacintakiDirectory/  (i have to put spaces because your site does not allow urls. but i copied what you had in the instructions)
But nothing came up. I tried index.php, install.php, everything i could think of typing and i keep getting 404d. it's starting to get very frustrating and i have no clue what to do or where to go from this point.

#3 07-03-2012 04:41:50

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Installation Instructions

A few things come to mind.

- Make sure the capitalization of the URL is correct, because most UNIX web servers are case sensitive.

- When connecting to the server via FTP, most servers will require you to upload your files into the "www" or "public_html" folder (same folder, different names).  If files are not in that folder, they are private and will not show up on the Internet.

- If you create a folder for Wacintaki (such as http://www.host.com/oekaki/ ), you may have to CHMOD that folder to 775 to get it to work.  If your server has an aggressive security policy, the normal CHMOD number of 755 might return a 404 Not Found or 403 Forbidden error.  It depends on your server.

- You don't have to create a folder specifically for Wacintaki.  If you don't already have a home page, you can put the oekaki into the base directory.

If you're still having trouble, you can e-mail me the link to your site (or post it here if you're okay with that), and I'll see what I can figure out.  If you're willing to share your host information with me, I can also install the board for you, but that's kind of a last resort.  It's good to know how to set up and maintain the oekaki yourself.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB