NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 07-10-2006 22:11:41

Sapphire Luna

Problems and errors

Hey.
I've tried to install Wacintaki 1.2.6 for the first time, but here's the deal. I only own a sub domain, so I asked the admin dude for the mySQL info, which he didnt want to give me for some reason, but he said he'd install it for me. He did "something" and said he wasnt done and it's been 2 months so I wanted to fix it myself.

Right now, the board looks like this --> http://sapphireluna.szfsoft.com/oekaki/

There's warning errors on every page and nothing works ;/ I dont know what the guy did exactly. Does someone know what I can do?

#2 07-11-2006 03:30:07

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Problems and errors

Do you at least have FTP access?  Will the admin blow up if you start fiddling with stuff?

It doesn't look like the database tables have been set up.  Connect to the server and download the dbconn.php file.  Providing the admin didn't try to re-code anything, that's where the current database information will be located.  Then, you just have to recopy the install.php file to the server, and run it again.

I'm not sure if an update to 1.3.x will be OK, though, because if the database is set up in a way that blocks ALTER commands, the update will completely fail.

#3 07-11-2006 11:54:43

Sapphire Luna

Ok, so I got the database info from the php file. I deleted everything and tried to install wax instead..
Well I get the same error. It says 'no database selected' How can that be?

#4 07-12-2006 05:20:40

Waccoon
Administrator

Verify the spelling/capitalization of the database name.  The host, username, and password are fine.

If the database name is the same as it was on the previous board, then it looks like you may be out of luck without some help from your admin.

Did the installer return any unusual notices, or just "no database selected"?

#5 07-13-2006 17:54:03

Sapphire Luna

It only returns 'No database selected' .. And while I'm spelling everything right, I think the admin is the one who wrote the wrong name in the first place... I think he's ignoring my emails..Yeah I'd get my own domain and host if only I had the money...

But, I have a friend who could make a database for me on his server. So what I need now is to know how to use a remote database..it wont be localhost anymore..I'm not sure what to write.

#6 07-14-2006 05:33:01

Waccoon
Administrator

Remote DBs suck.  They're slow, and connection issues can cause corruption (certain things will not be updated).

Before we go there, try downloading this.  It will show you all the databases to which you have access:  showdb.php

It's possible that there actually is no database set up, but we might as well take a look.

If there is no local database, a remote database connection requires a server name and port number.  Wherever possible, use an IP address instead of a name, because it avoids DNS lookup.  Here's a few examples:

sql1.server.com (may not work)
sql1.server.com:3306 (better)
192.16.0.35:3306 (best)

"sql1" is just an example subdomain name.  In reality, a MySQL server may have any name.

#7 07-14-2006 09:28:01

Sapphire Luna

How do I use the file you just gave me? I uploaded it and opened it, and there was nothing.

#8 07-15-2006 05:49:42

Waccoon
Administrator

Blast.  If all you got was a blank page, that means there is no database for that database username.  You'll have to get a database somewhere else, after all.

#9 07-15-2006 18:35:05

Sapphire Luna

But I have a database for my forum that works fine..why didnt the file at least show me that one?

-How do I find out the port numbers to the IP address of the remote database?

- I tried installing the oekaki directly on my friend's server because I was tired of failing ;/ But I got " Could not connect to database. Access denied for user..."   I'm guessing I got the password wrong. Is the password to any database the same as the password to the account?

Last edited by Sapphire Luna (07-15-2006 19:39:09)

#10 07-15-2006 19:57:58

Waccoon
Administrator

Ah, you have a forum?  I didn't see that.

A database server may have multiple databases and multiple usernames.  When a username is created, it must be explicitly assigned to one or more databases.  So, if your forum has a different username than the oekaki, your forum database won't show up using that script I gave you.  If you were to modify the oekaki config file so it uses the same database username as the forum, then it will show up.

With that said, it is possible to piggyback the oekaki database tables onto your forum database.  All you would have to do is use the same database username in the oekaki installer as the one you use in your forum.  BE WARNED: any database maintenance performed on your forum may wipe out your oekaki.  It's risky to have two seperate programs share one database.  Wacintaki handles all table maintenance by name, so it won't affect any tables it does not recognize.  I can't say the same for any other program, like your forum.

This may be why your admin wasn't too cooperative.  Hosts don't like to hand out multiple databases, as each one draws performance from the server.  For the price I'm paying for NineChime, I'm allowed 4 MySQL databases.

Also, how do I find out the port to the IP address?

That depends how the server is configured.  According to the PHP documentation, the default port is ":3306".  Try leaving the port number off to see if that works.  But, it is possible to set it to a different number, and only the system admin knows exactly what it is, so it doesn't hurt to ask.  If the sysadmin doesn't know, chances are it's the default.  wink

#11 07-16-2006 17:49:35

Sapphire Luna

Ok. Using the same database as the forum actually worked, though they did tell me it was a duplicate.

But guess what? I've got a new problem now. A template problem it seems. I get:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ';' in /home/szfsoft/public_html/sapphireluna/oekaki/templates/forestgreen.php on line 75

I chose 'classic' as my template though...Also, when I uploaded the template folder to my site, my FTP program said "critical transfer error' for every template in the templates folder that I uploaded.. What should I do now?

Last edited by Sapphire Luna (07-18-2006 12:28:54)

#12 07-18-2006 14:43:16

Sapphire Luna

I tried CHMODing the templates folder to 775 and 777 and still get that parse/syntax error.
I tried deleting everything and trying again. the templates uploaded correctly, but I still get Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ';' in /home/szfsoft/public_html/sapphireluna/oekaki/templates/forestgreen.php   no matter what link I go to ;/
Please help.

#13 07-19-2006 06:27:21

Waccoon
Administrator

Wacintaki uses templates written in PHP.  If there's an error in the template, the code won't parse.  It should be printing a line number, which will help you track down where that extra semicolon is located so you can remove it.  Or, you can just e-mail me a copy of the template and I'll fix it.  It'll probably take me 5 seconds, since I have a nice text editor for doing this stuff.  smile

BTW, the classic template works fine if you're logged out.  It's only when you login that "forestgreen" is used, as specified in your user profile.  If you can't access the board at all, delete your browser cookies and you should get the normal template.

#14 07-20-2006 06:48:19

Waccoon
Administrator

Hmm...  at first I wasn't getting any parsing errors.  But then, I was using PHP 4.3 to check the files.  I had a hunch this is a PHP5 thing, and, sure enough, after updating to the latest PHP, I got the problem.  New versions of PHP don't like some of the templates.

So, here you go:  Fixed Templates.
NOTE:  These are Wax Poteto templates, not Wacintaki!

I'll have to update the archives soon.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB