NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 08-07-2006 20:21:16

hjbender

Error Message During Install

Greetings,

I'm pretty familiar with oekaki installation, done it many times before in the past, but I'm receiving an error message when I finish filling out the install.php page:

ERROR: Could not open database config file for writing. Check your server permissions

It's been a while since my last BBS install, and I'm probably having a brainfart. Anyone know what this means?

P.S. I'm inclined to believe that the download of Wacintaki I got may have missing files... I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to have a config.php file in the general "oekaki" folder, right?

Thanks for your time!

#2 08-08-2006 05:41:50

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Error Message During Install

Nope.  The config.php and dbconn.php files are generated automatically, as are several other files.  Since your archive has the installer, it is the correct one.

If it can't open the database config file, that means whatever folder you set up for the oekaki isn't writable, such as the "/oekaki" folder.  You'll need to CHMOD the folder so it is writable.  Most of the time, 775 will do it.  Folders that need to be writable are the folder in which you're installing your oekaki, the resource folder, and the templates folder.  Everything else that needs to be writable is made automatically.

#3 08-08-2006 18:42:34

hjbender

Ah, I see. The "oekaki" folder on my server happens to be a subdomain... I'm not accustomed to working with subdomains (this is the first time I've had them) and I don't quite know how to handle CHMOD in this case. Are there any special instructions for installing to a subdomain?

#4 08-10-2006 04:40:55

Waccoon
Administrator

Hmm... this could get tricky.  I assume that when you log into your subdomain over FTP, you get a blank listing (does not contain stuff like "www", "public_html", "(name of subdomain)", etc.)?

If the server has the subdomain set up for you, the base folder should be writable.  But, UNIX security can be pretty frustrating.

If it isn't writable, open up Notepad and save two blank files, named "config.php" and "dbconn.php".  Upload them to the oekaki folder, and CHMOD them to 664.  Even if PHP cannot create these files itself, it should be able to write to files that already exist.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB