NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 10-19-2006 22:26:51

Nullig

Integrating with PunBB

Have you ever tried to integrate PunBB with Wacintaki?

If so, can you give me some pointers?

If not, any ideas on integrating the login scripts?

Thanks.

#2 10-20-2006 02:42:12

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Integrating with PunBB

To be honest, I haven't thought about it because it's a lot of trouble.  Sharing code between two seperate projects is very error-prone, and BOTH boards have to be modified for it to work.

This mod is only practical for Wacintaki.  Wax has way too many authorization entry points.

Certain critical information from the oekaki database must be copied into PunBB's database when people register for the oekaki, and they must use an idendical name for both boards.  The oekaki and PunBB use different password encryption methods, so people would have to log into PunBB, and the forum authorization code would have to be copied to "boot.php" in Wacintaki.  Once a username is authorized, that username would have to be copied to the $OekakiU variable, and the $OekakiPass variable would have to be fetched from the database.  Boot.php would then get all the appropriate user info as normal.

Once this is working, Wacintaki would have to have its cookies mapped so they are visible to both itself and PunBB.  In Wacintaki, the cookie path may be edited in "hacks.php".

The real problem is keeping the PunBB and Wacintaki boards in sync with each other.  I don't know exactly what the registration process would be, though registering for both boards would be required, even if only one login is used.  Also, what happens if someone changes a password?

#3 10-20-2006 10:58:21

Nullig

I was thinking along the lines of having a PunBB cookie created during the login to Wacintaki, with a link to the forum on the user's menu bar.

The major problem is copying the user name and password from one db to the other, as they both have different encryption methods.

Can you think of some way to automate this?

I realise that password changes would be problematic. Don't know how to get around that one, other than alerting the users to the fact and having them request admin intervention.

#4 01-30-2007 21:17:34

Dan

I've attempted this before, and I'll say, it's almost down right impossible.

It's a LOT of work, and I started out by just taking apart the user sections of PunBB and attempting to work with Wacintaki commands.
Unfortinally, it does get messy and I eventually gave up, so instead I wrote my own BB software as an attachment to Wacintaki.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB