NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 04-01-2008 17:46:33

lain

Quick Comment Code?

I'm interested in adding a quick comment to my wackintaki much like the ones found on http://www.sroekakia.com/oekaki/ and http://oevista.org/oekaki/ (must be logged in to use), however oevista no longer has access to their quick comment code. I would ask Eevee1, but SR is still running off Wax Poteto and I'm not sure if that would integrate with Wacintaki well.

#2 04-02-2008 03:56:19

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Quick Comment Code?

The code is the same for both Wacintaki and Wax, though you'd have to add/remove some styling to get it to look right.  You should ask for permission to use the code, first, so I'd go ahead and ask SFox8 for help.

The way it works is that there is an additional comment box added to each comment, and it is styled so it is invisible.  Some extra JavaScript is also added to "Poteto.js".  When you click the "Quick Comment" button, JavaScript is used to make the comment box appear (additionally, with some more work, it makes all the other comments disappear).  The comment box simply sends data to "comment.php" just like the normal comment screen would.  So, it's not necessary to modify the "functions.php" file.  Only the "index.php" and "Poteto.js" files have to be updated.  It's pretty easy to do, but you have to know where to insert the code.  If you do a "View Source" on the index, you can see the comment box code on each comment.  If you read the JavaScript source directly, you can also see all the additional script added.

The problem with the code as they have it is that the code is directly integrated into the index file, and is not inserted using the DOM.  That means a bit more bandwidth usage, you have to know what you are doing to add the code to the index, and every time the index file is updated in future versions means you will have to update everything again (not like Wacintkai 1.3.14 will be out any day now, of course wink ).

#3 04-06-2008 21:55:39

lain

Thanks! I e-mailed him a few days ago for permission, though it took me a bit of sleuthing to recover the e-mail address. I'm a bit worried over if I got the right one or not. I checked the oevista forums but they seem to have been taken over by bots.  ( But there was a section of the forum offering oevista mods so I'm assuming it's ok for me to play with the code a bit and see if I can get it to work? )

#4 04-06-2008 23:24:46

Waccoon
Administrator

Good Lord.  Whatever CAPTCHA they are using on the oevista forums obviously isn't working.  wink

Anyway, it's just good practice to ask, but code also has to be inserted directly into the index file, so it's easy to mess things up.  SFox8 should be able to help you with that, or maybe direct you to those mod instructions if they are still buried in the forum somewhere.

#5 06-11-2008 12:41:44

sfox8

I've been absent for quite a while and I apologize to you for that, lain.

I'll be getting on that quick comment code soon. I've had some personal issues that I needed to deal with over the past year or so.

I plan on putting the code and instructions into a zip file and if people really want it, I may make it publicly available. I haven't updated OeVista in a little over a year now so I'm a little rusty and OV is pretty messy. xD;

#6 10-11-2009 18:34:32

Cupcake

I've contacted Sfox8 on DeviantArt AND I've emailed him, but no luck. :c And Oevista.org isn't up anymore.

Is there no other way to get the quick comment code?

#7 10-12-2009 01:59:17

rainbow

I checked the website and all I see is the favicon.gif and favicon.ico files which means that sfox8 took down the OEVista website. sad

#8 02-15-2010 00:44:28

Dhuv

I know this thread is dead but i don't want to give up on the quick comment code. I am just a newbie to coding and i really have no idea what i am doing, so im hoping maybe someone can help me out!

Heres a code i started which does not have the ability to send the comment but it does created a text input + submit button, pretty useless but its a start

Code:

<div id="contentmain">
<p align="left">
<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="" class="infotable">
            <table class="infomain">
            <tr>
            <td class="infoask" valign="top"><form name="formComment" method="post" action="functions.php">
        <input name="action" type="hidden" value="<?=$mode;?>" />
        <input name="picno" type="hidden" value="<?=$resno;?>" />

<textarea id="comment" name="comment" cols="60" rows="5" class="multiline"></textarea>
</font>
<br>
<input type="submit" name="post" value="Submit" class="submit" />
(<a href="#" onClick="openWindow('niftyusage.php', 500, 300); return false">NiftyToo Usage</a>)

</form>
</td>

</tr>
</table>
</p>
</div>
        </div>
        </td>
        </tr>
        </table>
<?
        } else {
            // Vertical
            ?>
        </div>
<?
        }
        ?>

i put this right above the  <!-- /Commentmain --> part of the "index.php" file in the /oekaki folder
i am completely stumped. i do not know how to make these comments send
also tried this code

Code:

<p align="left">
<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="" class="infotable">

<form name="form1" method="post" action="functions.php">

<p>
<input type="hidden" name="picno" value="" />

<input type="hidden" name="pageno" value="" />
<input type="hidden" name="action" value="add" />
<input type="hidden" name="datatype" value="" />
</p>

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-2">

<tr>
<td>

<textarea id="comment" name="comment" cols="60" rows="5" class="multiline"></textarea>
</font>
<br>
<input type="submit" name="post" value="Submit" class="submit" />
(<a href="#" onClick="openWindow('niftyusage.php', 500, 300); return false">NiftyToo Usage</a>)

</form>
</td>

</tr>
</table>
</p>
</div>

in the same section an i still got nothing
feel free to edit this code

any help would be appreciated, i have tried contacting sfox8 but seems unresponsive, also oevista.org is down

#9 02-23-2010 04:12:43

sfox8

Hey all. Huge apologies for the absence I've had on the internet lately. It's been a crazy two years, with graduating high school and starting college.

I'm STILL getting tons of requests for this and I feel horrible when I have to make people wait. Unfortunately everyone knows, Oevista's been down for quite a while. I just renewed the domain and I will be trying to recover that code sometime this weekend so I can start offering it to anyone who wants it. Sadly, it'll take me quite a bit of sleuthing around in files because believe it or not, after about 2 years, I don't remember all the files I edited in getting that to work.

One thing I worry about though is version compatibility. I don't know how much Wacintaki has changed since then as far as coding goes (and Wax Poteto has been discontinued entirely!) so I would have to test it on the newest release to make sure it works, at least.

So once again, just bare with me on that. College (animation major, even) is a full time job for me, and my PHP knowledge is not what it used to be!

#10 03-04-2010 16:39:22

sfox8

Just letting everyone know that I actually have the code and have tested it with 1.3.4 (didn't really need any modification). I'll have it sometime within the next couple days.

#11 07-15-2010 13:13:00

faerrleah

Quick Comment code is widely used compare to Nested Comment. It is usable anywhere and anytime (means end of line). Nested Comment takes more time compare to Quick Comment.

#12 10-09-2010 21:06:28

sfox8

Hey guys! I'm back again after another few months of hiatus (again, sorry, LIFE has pretty much taken over my life haha)

But anyway, after taking FOREVER and a day, I finally had a chance to compile all code together into a nice little zip for everyone.

I know it's late and people have probably already figured out an alternative by now but here it is for those who don't have it yet.

Note: There are no actual php files in here. There are two text files (one RTF and one txt). The InstallGuide will guide you through the installation, telling you which files to open, what to add/modify, etc.

I followed the guide myself and tested it. Everything checked out on my end but if you have any problems, let me know. The various ways to contact me are included in the InstallGuide as well as the ReadMe.

You can download the zip here: http://oekaki.oevista.org/mods/QuickCommWacPoteto.zip

Funny thing is, there really isn't much that's unique about this code. Really, all it is is a dirty hack that I did back when I started OeVista. I'm sure there's a much better way of doing this now, but coding has somewhat taken a backseat to my current hobbies and obligations. Feel free to modify anything to suit your own board.

Last edited by sfox8 (10-09-2010 21:11:01)

#13 10-29-2012 05:09:52

Tiger

So instead of making a new thread, I'll post here.

Is there a quick comment code for Wacintaki 1.5.13? It looks like Oevista is down and the last comment here was over two years ago.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB