NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 10-24-2008 08:26:13

Pinkie

Cannot use PaintBBS

Hi,

I'm personally having a problem with using PaintBBS in general (on any oekaki). The applet loads correctly, and I can see the palette and draw but I cannot see the submit/undo/fill buttons or the squared bg of the applet. This occurs in Opera, Firefox and IE7, so it seems it occurs with every browser I use. Other members don't get this problem, it only seems to be my computer.

I'm using JavaSun ver 6, update 10.

Should I downgrade my Java? To what version?

Thanks in advanced.

#2 10-24-2008 10:37:35

rainbow

Re: Cannot use PaintBBS

I too tried using Sun JRE 1.6 update 10 and the controls on the Java applet came out blank. Since Update 10 is not a stable release, I had to downgrade to JRE 1.6 update 7. Here's a screencap for comparisons between JRE 1.6u7 and JRE 1.6u10 when using the PaintBBS applet:

PaintBBS under Sun JRE 1.6u7 vs 1.6u10

I'm hoping that Wac is aware of the issue with the PaintBBS glitch under JRE 1.6u10 and that there is a fix for this bug. sad

#3 10-25-2008 06:46:28

Waccoon
Administrator

I was not aware of this, since I update Java only when Java tells me to (which means a new minor version, not a revision).

What kind of video card are you guys using?  I'm aware than Java has had a lot of problems in the past with ATI drivers, to the point where many widgets and sometimes even the whole JRE was blank.  Updating my ATI drivers solved the problem, though I had to wait quite a while for the specific bug to be fixed in said drivers.  Now THAT was annoying.

#4 10-27-2008 06:35:05

Pinkie

I use ATI Radeon HD 3400 series. I've yet to try downgrading my java...

#5 10-28-2008 08:49:12

Twighlight

i thin java is the only problem.

in an unrelated note
i love how everyone uses higher vocabulary.
do they want to sound smart?
the world may never know...

o.o

#6 10-30-2008 04:44:52

Waccoon
Administrator

After much effort (grumble), I have updated to Java 1.6 update 10.  I'm not having any issues with missing graphics with either the IE or Firefox plugins, so I'm not sure what to think of this.

All I can tell you is that in the past, there have been problems with blank Java applets with ATI video cards.  I'm currently using Catalyst 8.4 drivers with a Radeon HD 3800, and I'm not having any problems.

#7 11-07-2008 14:02:47

Pinkie

Twighlight wrote:

in an unrelated note
i love how everyone uses higher vocabulary.
do they want to sound smart?
the world may never know...

o.o

No, people are using standard vocabulary, it is just that your comment reflects on your young age (no offence meant).

#8 11-07-2008 19:13:52

rainbow

Waccoon wrote:

After much effort (grumble), I have updated to Java 1.6 update 10.  I'm not having any issues with missing graphics with either the IE or Firefox plugins, so I'm not sure what to think of this.

All I can tell you is that in the past, there have been problems with blank Java applets with ATI video cards.  I'm currently using Catalyst 8.4 drivers with a Radeon HD 3800, and I'm not having any problems.

I use the nVIDIA GeForce 8400M G card w/256 MB of video memory to do my Java-based drawings and with the recent update to JRE 1.6u10, the PaintBBS Java applet went blank. Luckily, there is no update from Sun Java at this time...so I sticking with JRE 1.6u7.

If Shi-cyan stopped further development of PaintBBS after version 2.22_8, the update to JRE 1.6u10 could have serious impact on how a oekaki board is operated since a majority of users use PaintBBS to do their drawings.

#9 11-08-2008 11:50:09

Twighlight

Pinkie wrote:

No, people are using standard vocabulary, it is just that your comment reflects on your young age (no offence meant).

well its not that i DONT use that vocabulary regurlarly (in reall life) i just rather speak informally because i thinks it sounds alot friendlier, but thats just me :3

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB