NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 12-19-2008 15:38:52

Twighlight

menu positioning

im wondering how to position menu items to the top of the page for example.
also, how to put a picture on the banner so that the toolbar could be BEHIND the pic.
like here http://sutaro.com/oekaki
im also curious how to turn menu items into buttons likie that and how to add a onesided lefthand side border that doesnt depend on the bg.
=P
thnx!

OH!
also, a fellow owner banned me even though i created the site, is there a way to get myself back?
i mean, i dont even how she logged in, i lowered her status to member and removed all her flags.
but she banned me, do i have to make a NEW site?

#2 12-20-2008 06:32:28

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: menu positioning

how to put a picture on the banner so that the toolbar could be BEHIND the pic.

This requires quite a bit of custom coding, as you have to put your banner into the header file and use a lot of absolute CSS positioning.  If you're not comfortable messing around with CSS, then it will be more trouble than it's worth.

The short of it is, you have to make a DIV container and set your picture as the background.  Then make another DIV with the menu headers and position it so that it is in the right place.  You could also try to just reposition the menus by changing the CSS positions without making a unique DIV container, but this can have some very unpredictable results, such as having some menus overlapping each other in ways not easy to fix, or having to hard-code for only one screen resolution.

also, a fellow owner banned me even though i created the site, is there a way to get myself back?

Yes.  Be aware that if you make anyone an owner (which is not a good thing to do), they will have every privilege you do, which includes knowing your database password.  You cannot ban an owner, so what happened is that this person revoked your owner flag.  To get it back, use the Flag Restore tool.  You need to open it in a text editor and insert your name in the $usrname = ''; line.  If you have trouble with that, tell me your username (upper/lower case is important) and I'll prepare the file for you.

After that, you will need to revoke the user's owner flag, and make sure no other people were promoted to admins during your absence.  It might be a good idea to delete everything in the ban file, not only to remove your (non-functioning) ban, but also to free other people who might have been banned.

Make people admins, not owners.  There should only be one owner on any board.

#3 12-21-2008 18:17:17

Twighlight

i have absolutely NO knowledge of CSS, i only know HTML.
see, this is the image that i want as the bg
http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n418 … erBack.png
the stripe on top is where i would like the menu items, amd this is what i would use as the banner
http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n418 … nner-1.png
and i want the lightest colored boxes to contain text.
is there any way i could position the things i want that way using HTML?
oh, i tried uploading the flagrestore file into the oekaki file, it didnt work, did i not do it right?

Last edited by Twighlight (12-21-2008 18:31:11)

#4 12-21-2008 19:54:23

Waccoon
Administrator

is there any way i could position the things i want that way using HTML?

No.  Due to the way HTML handles images, you would need to set the images to element backgrounds and use CSS to position things.  In fact, it's preferable to modify the CSS and not touch the HTML and PHP code.  This means editing the templates, which can be very tricky.

I like that banner, but you'd be better off changing it so there's space at the top for the menus, and setting it as your notice background.  The procedure for doing this is different for Wacintaki and Wax Poteto, so let me know which board you have.  For a Wacintaki board, you would open up the template you are using (the one where the filename ends in ".php", and edit the #notice section to something like this:

Code:

#notice {
    padding: 0 10px 0 10px;
    background-image: url("TemplteImageFolder/BannerBack.png");
    background-attachment: fixed; /* Firefox */
    background-position: top center;
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
}

Oh yeah, after you make any changes to the PHP version of the template, you have to delete the CSS version of the template (also in the tempates folder), and the oekaki will rebuild the template.  This behavior has been fixed in Wacintaki 1.4.2, so templates will rebuild automatically when the PHP version is updated.

oh, i tried uploading the flagrestore file into the oekaki file, it didnt work, did i not do it right?

I thought you had a board at FunPic, but what I found doesn't seem to be working.  Did you move your site?  Like I said before, I'll need to know your exact username (capitalization matters), and I'll make the proper file for you.  Also, make sure you upload it to the right place.  The "flagrestore.php" file needs to be uploaded into the same folder as the oekaki's "boot.php" file.  You then have to type in the name of the script in your browser window to run it.  If the file has been uploaded to the wrong place, it won't connect to the database and therefore will not work.

#5 12-22-2008 19:27:10

Twighlight

yes, i have funpic, this is my url
http://twighlight.tw.funpic.org/TAOekaki/Normal/
my name is
TwighlightxSamo
my funpic username is Twighlight
so what your saying is that it should be my notice? id rather it be a banner so that it can be seen when members are doing other things such as commenting, i suppose it would be simpler your way though. so i just add what u gave me to notice and remove the following:
/* Content */
.pages {
    /* Styles for page navigators */
    margin: 0 $pMargin 0 $pMargin;
    text-align: center;
    background-color: $pBackgroundColor;
    font-size: $pFontSize;
    font-weight: bold;
    border-width: $pButtonBorderSize;
    border-color: $pBorderColor;
    border-style: $pBorderStyle;
}
.activepage {
    /* Current page number in page navigators */
    color: $apColor;
    font-size: $apFontSize;
    font-weight: normal;
}

correct?
i still would lke to know a way to position the text into the boxes. the blog coder that i used to do things of that sort doesnt sem to work anymore, it seems the website is down...

(youll have to forgive me for not being as computer lterate as i could be ^^')

#6 12-23-2008 04:55:14

Waccoon
Administrator

OK, first things first.  When I tried to follow the link to your board, it keeps telling me that it can't connect to the MySQL database.  That's kind of bad.  You need to open up the "dbconn.php" file in a text editor and check to see that the database username and password are set correctly.

Of course, I've occasionally seen FunPic shut down their database for maintenance, so maybe this is just bad timing.  If your oekaki is actually working, you can upload the customized flag restore tool.  Make sure to upload it into the same folder as "boot.php".

#7 12-23-2008 12:49:47

Twighlight

thank u. and yeah, funpic does that alot

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB