NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 07-09-2006 13:55:04

Sian Silverhair

Restriction: x drawings per day, y drawings per month

An oekaki I used to visit used to have this feature.  It ran OekakiPoteto, but I always assumed it was custom code. I would really like to see it in a new version of Wacintaki.

The board I run has a little problem where some of the users just don't know when to stop drawing.  It is literally flooding the boards.  We'd really like to control this.

Ideally, there would be an option to restrict global drawing frequency. Once enabled, admins could choose how many drawings someone can do per day (ie. 3), and overall how many can be done per month (ie, 40).  Once a user hits the limit, they will not be able to draw for the rest of the day or month (whichever reaches 0 first).  Deleting old oekakis from the current month might increase a user's "credit".

Could we perhaps see this as a modification, or even as part of the main code?

#2 07-09-2006 18:31:11

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Restriction: x drawings per day, y drawings per month

I started working on this a while ago (even made slots in the config file), but got sidetracked.

The major issue is that the control panel is getting a bit crowded, and I doubt such measures really work if the rules are enforced.  You can just revoke someone's draw/upload flags without deleting their account.

Any input on how it should affect safety saves, or just posted pictures?

#3 07-09-2006 20:51:11

Sian Silverhair

Regarding crowded settings:  Could the control panel become an actual organized panel broken up into pages or tabs, instead of its current incarnation as a whole list of settings seperate from a few small sections (rules, header, etc)?  Like, one section could be for general board settings, another could be for default member settings, another one for rules, another for skin control / creation, and so on. From there, if you wanted to give admins the opportunity to modify the board (and keep it modified through various upgrades), you could get an organized mod system together (I'm thinking similar to wordpress's plugins).

Regarding safety saves:  If the person has hit the daily or monthly limit, then they will not be allowed to access the applets so no new drawings can be made.  If a safety save already exists they might be able to edit it, but they can't make it visible to others.

Also, I'm fully aware of flags, but things like that can be hard to keep track of, particularly in large communities.  When something can be controlled so easily and efficiently by a script, why should it be done manually?  Besides, one of our flooders is a very good artist.  We just want them to cut down a bit, possibly spend more time on each submission, and in general decide what they really want to show off.  If we were to begin deleting their work, that leaves US to decide what should stay, and the admins may choose a piece the artist doesn't like quite as much.

I hope I make sense. :\

#4 07-11-2007 08:14:46

ivyadrena

Personally, I would like this option available to me. My email server doesn't seem to support the verification emails upon registration, so I had to set the board to automatically accept new members.

We recently got hit with our first troll-- and we only opened on Friday! We killed it with in minutes because we Admins are pretty OCD about refreshing and our steadily growing members are very active, but I worry that we're going to get hit again while one or both of us can't access the board in a timely manner to deal with the problem.

If I were able to set a restriction so that new members were only allowed to post a certain number of images until an Admin verified that they actually wanted to be there, it would go a long way towards easing my mind.

Of course, any other suggestions would be welcome. This is my first time Modding an oekaki board, so there's probably solutions I haven't even thought of yet.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB