NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 11-11-2005 22:55:47

Spanishrose

Could not connect to MySQL database

I know this is probably related to my host. but since some people on here are good with MYSQL and server stuff, I was wondering
what had cause this to happen to my board all of a sudden.

Now when I visit my board I get the message: Could not connect to MySQL database

I checked my dbconn.php file and the password, name, username, etc. is all correct. I made sure that everything was the same. It had worked before....so I go to mysql admin (phpmyadmin) for the oekaki database and notice an error at the bottom:

Error
The additional Features for working with linked Tables have been
deactivated. To find out why click here.

I click the link:

PMA Database ... not OK[ Documentation ]
General relation features Disabled

I want to know what this means or what it has to do with it, and how I fix it if my host doesn't respond soon.

Spanishrose Oekaki: http://www.spanishrose.net/oekaki/

Thanks!
~Spanishrose

#2 11-12-2005 03:38:21

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Could not connect to MySQL database

The PMA error is related to phpMyAdmin (PMA = php + My + Admin).  It is a result of the database issue, but is not causing it.

My guess is that the admins are doing something to the database and they goofed.  If it isn't fixed in a day, let them know that scripts can't connect to the database.

You could try this dbconn file, which will give you error messages when it cannot connect.  You'll have to edit the database info by hand at the top of the file before you upload it.  If you decide to use it, let me know what it says.

#3 11-12-2005 23:16:47

Spanishrose

Ok, I used that file instead, (I had to edit out the or die(could not connect) because it wouldn't show anymore after that.

So now this comes up:
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)

Do I have to set file permissions? I know my host messed up back there because it glitched up my database saying it wasn't there and I renamed it then renamed it back to the original and it magically appears!! lol

My host responded with: "oh check the password." I'm like....it's the same password, you guys were editing stuff and it must have denied permissions somewhere ????

XD I used my FTP program to browse that directory and I see my database in there with all the table files...now to get the server to seeing it again. O-o;
Still my board won't connect to the database. I'll contact them again.

#4 11-12-2005 23:34:00

Spanishrose

Oh I also tried installing a test board (oekaki2) to see if maybe it was just a fluke, as I hit the install button

I get this:

Wrote database config file...
Wrote config file...

Wrote base “resource” folder files...

Starting to set up database...

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111) in /var/www/html/oekaki2/dbconn.php on line 10
Could not connect to the MySQL database.

Darn you sock!!!! lol

#5 11-13-2005 02:51:41

Waccoon
Administrator

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)

This is a server-side issue common with database updates.  One of the config files is probably pointing to the wrong socket.  It's also possible that they updated PHP, and the PHP MySQL library is conflicting with the server MySQL library, which would cause the database to work fine for most things, but not PHP.

I'm not sure if this will be of any help to you, but it shows that this error is a server issue, either with the database, or with how PHP is using it:  Can't connect to [local] MySQL server

My host responded with: "oh check the password."

Uh, no.  If the password is wrong, you'll get an error like: "Permission Denied for user "{name}@{server}" (using password: YES)"

I'd e-mail your admins again and tell them that when using PHP, you're getting connection errors, not login errors.  PHP has to actually connect to the database before it can log in (in your name) to get stuff.

My guess is that they overlooked something after a server upgrade, possibly only affecting PHP, which makes it difficult to spot.

#6 11-13-2005 13:15:48

Spanishrose

lol

Yep you were correct sir Waccoon. I specifically notified them of it, and.....it's working now! Thank goodness. ;D
I knew they had did some upgrading, because thier help page has been updated as well, and they overlooked the one thing I use with my board O_o;

<3
So yes the board is back online!

Thanks much for your help, Wac. wink

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB