NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 02-19-2010 20:57:38

patchwork

Help, please...?

Hello all,

I am a total n00b to all of this, I shall admit that right off of the bat. Even after reading through the tutorials and such, I don't quite "get" how to get one of these set up. I am so confused. I've done simple html for my own website, but this FTTP stuff is way out of my league. :c

I have gotten as far as the oekaki 'installation' page, where I am met with this message:

"You need to CHMOD your main directory so it is writable (use 777 if you are not sure what to use).

You need to CHMOD the templates directory so it is writable (use 777 if you are not sure what to use).

The resource folder is present but not writable. CHMOD it so it is writable (use 777 if you are not sure what to use)."

Gggaaaahhh... Help? Are there any pro's out there who know what they're doing? Even a point in the right direction would be helpful. (Are there people out there who specifically help with oekaki set up, or anything...?) Again, I have no idea what I am doing. All I want a nice, private oekaki for myself and a friend to draw on.

Thank you. :<

#2 02-20-2010 11:52:22

Re: Help, please...?

Use Filezilla, select the folders needing CHMOD, right click > File Attributes > set it to 777. After that, should work just fine. :]

#3 02-20-2010 15:57:26

patchwork

I downloaded filezilla like you instructed. However, it keeps giving me the message "could not connect to server". ): I'm so lost.

Ah, I guess i should mention, I have both scriptblocker and adblocker on my firefox. I dunno if this would effect anything...?

Last edited by patchwork (02-20-2010 16:08:44)

#4 02-20-2010 22:37:10

Waccoon
Administrator

Seeing how the files are on the server, I assume you got some kind of FTP program running on your computer, or you got access to some kind of file manager through your server's control panel.  That's good.  The catch is, FTP programs let you change the CHMOD numbers, while many web-based file managers do not.  I'll need to know what kind of program you used to get the files onto the server.  Some file managers do allow you to change permissions, though.  Every server is a bit different.

By default, web servers don't allow scripts to write files into folders, so you have to make sure those folders have the proper security properties.  The CHMOD number is what controls whether the folder is writable or read-only.  In general, a CHMOD number of 775 should be used for folders, and if that doesn't work, you can try 777.

Once the file permissions are all set, you'll have to create a database.  That's a whole different challenge.  We'll take this one step at a time.

#5 02-21-2010 14:30:40

patchwork

Well, let's see here. I don't actually have an FTP program on my computer-- ^^; Save for the "filezilla" thing I was recommended. I thought i'd read in your tutorial that some hosting sites have file managers, which this one indeed seemed to- In any case, here's the host I am using: http://www.000webhost.com/

this is what my space currently looks like: http://patchworkcat.vacau.com/

I am still so very much lost with all of this. ): I don't want to use this as an "excuse", but i've ADD, and i tend to skip around/misread things, and it gets quite frustrating sometimes. I know for sure I could understand all of this better if I had someone right here in the flesh to teach me how, but, alas. ; ;

if you can help me, though, I truly really would appreciate it-- thank you so much for you guys's support so far.

#6 02-22-2010 03:31:28

Waccoon
Administrator

Okay, according to your hosts's FAQ (link), there is a way to change file permissions using their web-based file manager.  So, you don't really need an FTP client.  How to change permissions depends on the file manager, though, so you might have to play around with it.  Web sites don't use right-clicks, so there should be a button or checkboxes or something to modify permissions.  You just have to make sure the pictures, templates, resource, and avatars folders are "writable" or "group writable".  If they use the 3-digit numbers, the number you should try first is 775.

Also note that the documentation folder and readme files should not be uploaded to the server.  Those should be removed, and all the files in the "oekaki" folder should be moved into the "public_html" folder.  That way, viewing patchworkcat.vacau.com will show the oekaki.  Otherwise, the path will be patchworkcat.vacau.com/oekaki/, and I presume that's not what you want.

To set up the database, read the FAQ section on MySQL (link) to get the information you'll need for the Wacintaki installer.  For your host, the hostname will not be "localhost", but it will be something else.  Follow the directions in the FAQ to get the proper info.

If you're really stuck, I can set the board up for you, but I'll need you to e-mail me all of your account information.  It's best if you know how to get everything working yourself, though, in case you need to update the board in the future.

#7 02-22-2010 09:42:53

patchwork

I think... I may have got it...! Only thing is, when I ran the installer, I got this error...: "Wrote database config file...
Wrote config file...

Wrote base “resource” folder files...

Starting to set up database...
Finished setting up database..."

However, as you can see...: http://patchworkcat.vacau.com/index.php ...it appears to be working? @ @

Have I finally done it..?! ;-;

#8 02-23-2010 01:32:25

Waccoon
Administrator

Those were just status updates, not errors.  It appears to be working!

#9 02-23-2010 07:18:03

patchwork

Waaah, thank you so much..! ;-; I could have never, ever done it without you guys's help...!

I do have one last little question- about modifying the colorscheme/look of the oekaki...? How difficult is it to do that?

#10 03-01-2010 01:48:02

Waccoon
Administrator

Almost everything is done with CSS (the styling language for HTML), but Wacintaki templates are a mix of PHP and CSS.

The easiest way to get started is to make a copy of the "Classic.php" file in the templates folder, give the copy a new name, and change some of the color values in the "General" settings section.  It's easier to modify the Classic template than the default Banana template.

You'll have to do everything with a text editor.  Wacintaki does not have a built-in template editor.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB