NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 02-13-2010 20:21:16

Zeruda

Issue Uploading Avatar

Hi, I just installed Wacintaki, and my only problem (so far) is that I cannot seem to get avatars to upload. The popup for the upload comes up, but after choosing the file and clicking "Submit", the page only seems to refresh, and an avatar is not uploaded. The destination folder for the avatars is there, but nothing is being uploaded.

(I should also mention that I do have ownership, I've tried CHMODing multiple times, I've tried deleting and reuploading/recreating the folder). The only folder I don't have full ownership of is /pictures. I could delete and reupload it to be able to set permissions and have full ownership, but then I'd lose the pictures in the folder that people have already put effort into. Not even sure if that matters with this issue.

Also, forgot to mention that my install is (or was, since it's been a bit now) a fresh installation. I do believe I have the most recent version. It can be viewed here:

http://www.knightsofhyrule.org/oekaki

Please help. :>

Last edited by Zeruda (02-17-2010 15:12:42)

#2 02-18-2010 05:56:51

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Issue Uploading Avatar

Have you tried to submit a picture with the "Upload" feature (not "Draw")?  In some bizarre cases, I've seen servers that will accept raw data from a Java applet, but will not allow the web browser to upload images directly.  I can access the avatars folder directly from my web browser, so it appears that the CHMOD number is correct.  You can get a full list of permissions by looking at the Diagnostics screen.

The pictures folder is created by the installer, so you may not have the ability to change the CHMOD number in your FTP client.  That's normal, and so long as pictures can be submitted, it's not a problem.

#3 02-18-2010 13:43:52

Zeruda

Waccoon wrote:

Have you tried to submit a picture with the "Upload" feature (not "Draw")?  In some bizarre cases, I've seen servers that will accept raw data from a Java applet, but will not allow the web browser to upload images directly.  I can access the avatars folder directly from my web browser, so it appears that the CHMOD number is correct.  You can get a full list of permissions by looking at the Diagnostics screen.

The pictures folder is created by the installer, so you may not have the ability to change the CHMOD number in your FTP client.  That's normal, and so long as pictures can be submitted, it's not a problem.

Nono, my problem isn't uploading pictures to the board- I can do that just fine. The problem is uploading avatars in the profile section. Like I said, the window (edit_avatar.php) pops up after clicking "Change Avatar". From there, I browse to the file that I want to use as an avatar. Then, I hit submit. However, hitting submit changes nothing; no avatar is uploaded, and the little popup window only seems to refresh.

Last edited by Zeruda (02-18-2010 13:46:24)

#4 02-19-2010 04:20:48

Waccoon
Administrator

If file uploads work but avatars don't, something weird is going on.  The board is supposed to tell you if the avatar doesn't save properly.  I'm going to register and see what I can find out.

#5 02-20-2010 21:08:45

Waccoon
Administrator

Hmm... I'm having trouble finding anything out.  The code is supposed to print an error message if anything goes wrong up until it tries to update the database, so if anything, a file should be written.

I have to ask, your server seems to have both an "avatar" and "avatars" folder.  The board is configured so the "avatars" folder is used for images, yes?  I also see there's some kind of redirect to keep people from viewing the avatars folder directly.  Have you tried removing that redirect to see if that helps.

I did find something in the code that might be an issue, so I have a new avatar editor here:  "edit_avatar.php" update for 1.4.3

Let me know if that new avatar editor helps.

#6 02-20-2010 22:56:25

Zeruda

Waccoon wrote:

Hmm... I'm having trouble finding anything out.  The code is supposed to print an error message if anything goes wrong up until it tries to update the database, so if anything, a file should be written.

I have to ask, your server seems to have both an "avatar" and "avatars" folder.  The board is configured so the "avatars" folder is used for images, yes?  I also see there's some kind of redirect to keep people from viewing the avatars folder directly.  Have you tried removing that redirect to see if that helps.

I did find something in the code that might be an issue, so I have a new avatar editor here:  "edit_avatar.php" update for 1.4.3

Let me know if that new avatar editor helps.

I made the /avatar folder after discovering the issue to see if it would make a difference (which it didn't). I've tried making /avatar the path for the avatars, and that didn't work, so I set it back to /avatars and it still doesn't work. I also put up the redirect after having the issue with the avatars, but removing it doesn't make a difference, either.

I tried the new edit_avatar.php you provided, but the problem has not been resolved. I'm still coming up with nothing- edit_avatar.php simply refreshes itself after clicking "Submit", and no file is uploaded.

#7 02-22-2010 03:16:15

Waccoon
Administrator

Okay, if you log in as the owner and go into the Diagnostics section, at the bottom the folder permissions are listed.  The one for the avatars folder shows up as "OK", right?

I'm going to have to make a custom editor for you to try out, so we can tell whether the server is even accepting the images.  I have to get something else done for Tuesday, so it may take a couple days.

#8 02-22-2010 21:46:03

Zeruda

Waccoon wrote:

Okay, if you log in as the owner and go into the Diagnostics section, at the bottom the folder permissions are listed.  The one for the avatars folder shows up as "OK", right?

I'm going to have to make a custom editor for you to try out, so we can tell whether the server is even accepting the images.  I have to get something else done for Tuesday, so it may take a couple days.

Yep, it shows up as "OK". Take your time; I'm very thankful for your help. I'll keep checking back for your next post. :>

#9 03-01-2010 05:55:06

Waccoon
Administrator

Sorry for the wait.  I finally put some extra diagnostics in the avatar uploader.

When dealing with upload issues, this can sometimes be a trial-and-error process.  When you try to upload an avatar, it will give a step-by-step printout of what's going on.  If there's any steps missing, we'll narrow down the issues from there.  I do find it strange that pictures will upload but not avatars.  I'm thinking there's some kind of permissions issue here.

#10 03-02-2010 02:04:08

Zeruda

Waccoon wrote:

Sorry for the wait.  I finally put some extra diagnostics in the avatar uploader.

When dealing with upload issues, this can sometimes be a trial-and-error process.  When you try to upload an avatar, it will give a step-by-step printout of what's going on.  If there's any steps missing, we'll narrow down the issues from there.  I do find it strange that pictures will upload but not avatars.  I'm thinking there's some kind of permissions issue here.

Alright, so I filled in the spot for my local path to the avatar folder and uploaded the file. Howeveerrr.... same thing is happening. Where should I be looking for the step-by-step printout?

#11 03-02-2010 05:42:13

Waccoon
Administrator

Alright, so I filled in the spot for my local path to the avatar folder

You mean you edited the "edit_avatar.php" file before you uploaded it?  No, no... leave that blank.  That's a hack I added for people who have multiple boards installed across subdomains.

Just upload the file directly to the server without changing it.  Otherwise, it won't work the way it's supposed to.

#12 03-02-2010 23:51:26

Zeruda

Waccoon wrote:

Alright, so I filled in the spot for my local path to the avatar folder

You mean you edited the "edit_avatar.php" file before you uploaded it?  No, no... leave that blank.  That's a hack I added for people who have multiple boards installed across subdomains.

Just upload the file directly to the server without changing it.  Otherwise, it won't work the way it's supposed to.

Alright, did that. Still nothing. Just the same refreshing of edit_avatar.php.

...should I change everything to 777 and try that?

#13 03-03-2010 03:03:12

Waccoon
Administrator

I updated the file:  edit_avatar_1.4.3x.zip

I don't think this is a permissions issue.  It looks more like the server is simply throwing away the uploaded images.  If this new script doesn't print anything, then we're kind of stuck.

Images upload just fine using the "Upload" feature (not "Draw")?

#14 03-04-2010 20:53:57

Zeruda

Waccoon wrote:

I updated the file:  edit_avatar_1.4.3x.zip

I don't think this is a permissions issue.  It looks more like the server is simply throwing away the uploaded images.  If this new script doesn't print anything, then we're kind of stuck.

Images upload just fine using the "Upload" feature (not "Draw")?

Well, they were. Now I get: "An error occured while uploading. Try again. Use your browser button to go back. "

I could upload with "Upload" before, but not now. I tried going back to the older version of edit_avatar.php, and that didn't make a difference, so I just reuploaded the new file you just gave me. I tried contacting my host to see if they changed anything on their server (though I don't think they did), buuuut no reply as usual.

It seems we've reached a dead end here... I'm not sure why it's doing this, nor do I know what caused the "Upload" instead of "Draw" to stop working.

#15 03-05-2010 01:35:41

Waccoon
Administrator

I'm pretty sure your host has disabled file uploads.  The reason why the uploader just refreshes the screen is because the server pretends it didn't receive a picture.

The only thing you can do is keep trying to contact your hosting company and ask if your server supports file uploads.

The Java applets send data differently than the web browser does, so that's why the applets work.

#16 03-05-2010 23:50:41

Zeruda

Waccoon wrote:

I'm pretty sure your host has disabled file uploads.  The reason why the uploader just refreshes the screen is because the server pretends it didn't receive a picture.

The only thing you can do is keep trying to contact your hosting company and ask if your server supports file uploads.

The Java applets send data differently than the web browser does, so that's why the applets work.

That's a little odd.... I mean, file upload work on my forums just fine. I sent an e-mail anyway, though I doubt I'll get a reply.
Is there any alternative to uploading avatars?

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB