NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 02-10-2009 17:35:38

Pomegranate

Java verify error? Help plz

Hi,
Ive been trying to use the applet, but when I recently downloaded Java (Version 6 Update 12) the applet still responds that I need to download Java. The actual error is:

You need Java&trade to run this applet. Click here to download Java. 

Does this have something to do with that my computer says Java isnt verified? (Yes, I have clicked the verify button on the Java website) and would you know how to fix this?

~Pomegranate

#2 02-11-2009 04:39:14

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Java verify error? Help plz

Yeah, if you're getting that message, that means Java hasn't been installed properly.  The question is whether Java is completely broken, or whether just your web browser's Java plug-in is broken.

What brand of web browser are you using?  If you're using Firefox3, go to Tools -> Add Ons, and select the "Plugins" tab.  You should see at least two plug-in that starts with "Java(TM) Platform".  If they are there, make sure they are enabled.  If they are not there at all, you'll need to re-install Java.

Unfortunately, the Java installer is kind of stupid, and if you have Java installed and it's broken, you might have to uninstall Java before you run the installer again.

#3 04-01-2011 08:46:43

akali04

I had this same problem, it made me download sorts of links but luckily problem solved! I have a question? Do java applets require the latest version of JDK or older versions will do?

#4 04-02-2011 01:04:18

Waccoon
Administrator

PaintBBS and ShiPainter are pretty old and will work with any version of Java dating back to 2005.  I think that means Java 1.2 and up.

ChibiPaint was compiled in 2008, so it might require Java 5, but I'm not sure.  I know it works fine on Java 5, at least.

Please note that Java version numbers are really messed up.  If I remember correctly, Java 2 is actually Java 1.2, and after 1.2 they went straight to Java 5, but the version numbers are somewhat buried in the control panel.  Revision numbers have given way to updates, so today, all versions of Java 6 are officially version 1.6.0, but they have "version 1.6.0 update 22" or some nonsense, rather than simply calling it "1.6.22".

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB