NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 09-04-2009 02:00:25

rainbow
Member

Did you have a website hosted on OekakiArt?

I've noticed that no one has posted in the General Oekaki Discussions boards over the past couple of months, but this is important.

If so, I got the sad news that all of the oekaki boards on that site have been deleted and I'm still hosted under a subdomain name on OekakiArt and that site is expected to go under later this month. sad I'll try to find a free webhost via Google if I can find one.

I know it's hard and depressing, but I need to find a new (free) webhost for my oekaki or someone to host my oekaki (via subdomain name), Insomnia Oekaki and notify users by OPMail before it's too late.

If you have any ideas, please post your thoughts.

Edit: Wac (and others), please keep in mind that I have not posted in the NineChime Forums since December of last year. I just wanted to stop by this site to see what is going on here.

Last edited by rainbow (09-04-2009 02:06:35)

Offline

#2 09-04-2009 04:20:32

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Did you have a website hosted on OekakiArt?

There's so little going on in the oekaki community, I'm quite happy to see any oekaki news being posted here.

Of course, OekakiArt going down is very sad news.  Good luck with finding a host for your board.

Online

#3 09-04-2009 08:38:13

rainbow
Member

Re: Did you have a website hosted on OekakiArt?

Waccoon wrote:

There's so little going on in the oekaki community, I'm quite happy to see any oekaki news being posted here.

Of course, OekakiArt going down is very sad news.  Good luck with finding a host for your board.

Thanks so much for the concern, Wac. As for finding a host for my new oekaki board, can you try listing free webhosts with PHP and mySQL capabilities? I don't know if it is possible for someone to host my Insomnia Oekaki board or not. sad

Let me know if you do. The list of free webhosts are out of date, because many free webhosts went down without warning.

Offline

#4 09-05-2009 04:02:52

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Did you have a website hosted on OekakiArt?

Yeah, free hosting with proper support for the Java applets seems to have pretty much vanished.  Everything starts at "less than $5".  My host costs me $17/mo., but it could probably be less if I haggled (since I've been with them for, oh, seven years).  I'd be wary of anything under $8/mo.

One free host you can try is http://www.avafreehost.com

I've read through their FAQ, and, helpfully, they list all the restrictions they apply to their free accounts.  Everything necessary to run the board is there, including input streams, which is a problem with many free hosts.  The only bummer is that they do not support e-mail, so the oekaki registration system will have to approve people immediately, rather than send activation e-mails.

From what I've read, they require Google ads, which is a very reasonable type of ad service.  Naturally, you can also upgrade to paid hosting later.

Online

#5 09-05-2009 10:07:14

rainbow
Member

Re: Did you have a website hosted on OekakiArt?

Waccoon wrote:

Yeah, free hosting with proper support for the Java applets seems to have pretty much vanished.  Everything starts at "less than $5".  My host costs me $17/mo., but it could probably be less if I haggled (since I've been with them for, oh, seven years).  I'd be wary of anything under $8/mo.

One free host you can try is http://www.avafreehost.com

I've read through their FAQ, and, helpfully, they list all the restrictions they apply to their free accounts.  Everything necessary to run the board is there, including input streams, which is a problem with many free hosts.  The only bummer is that they do not support e-mail, so the oekaki registration system will have to approve people immediately, rather than send activation e-mails.

From what I've read, they require Google ads, which is a very reasonable type of ad service.  Naturally, you can also upgrade to paid hosting later.

I recall that my oekaki was hosted on Tripod UK, but although they have increased the disk space to 1 GB, they pretty much stopped accepting new singups. I believe that they're still around even if Lycos discontinued all unprofitable activities back in mid-February of this year.

Is there another free webhost that supports Google advertising and e-mail in which the registration systems requires activation e-mails?

Offline

#6 09-05-2009 22:21:29

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Did you have a website hosted on OekakiArt?

The base requirements are PHP input streaming and JAR support, and most free hosts don't even tell you in the FAQ/TOS if these features are supported.  I singled out AvaFreeHost because their FAQ clearly states what PHP features they have turned off and left on.  That, combined with other factors, such as explicit bandwidth limits, tell me that these people probably know what they are doing.  E-mail support and ads free of JavaScript are major pluses, but the board can function without them.  Due to the amount of spamming abuse free hosts endure, I don't think you'll find a free host that supports every feature the oekaki uses, even the basic ones.

Free hosts are typically used to host static pages and simple forums that don't need Java or advanced file upload support.  The major reason why free hosts are dying is not because they are free, but because very few people actually make their own web pages anymore.  Most people sign up for a community service or blog of some sort, where the hosting company manages the scripting software, and you can simply worry about your content.  For example, why make your own gallery and deal with FTP, HTML, and CSS, when you can join DeviantArt instead?  Whether DeviantArt is a good service or not is arguable, but that's what people are doing these days.

Even a cheap paid host will offer pretty much everything needed by the board, and without ads, too.  Free hosts are, naturally, crippled by default in the hopes that you'll upgrade to a paid account in the future.

Online

#7 09-05-2009 22:40:08

rainbow
Member

Re: Did you have a website hosted on OekakiArt?

Waccoon wrote:

The base requirements are PHP input streaming and JAR support, and most free hosts don't even tell you in the FAQ/TOS if these features are supported.  I singled out AvaFreeHost because their FAQ clearly states what PHP features they have turned off and left on.  That, combined with other factors, such as explicit bandwidth limits, tell me that these people probably know what they are doing.  E-mail support and ads free of JavaScript are major pluses, but the board can function without them.  Due to the amount of spamming abuse free hosts endure, I don't think you'll find a free host that supports every feature the oekaki uses, even the basic ones.

Free hosts are typically used to host static pages and simple forums that don't need Java or advanced file upload support.  The major reason why free hosts are dying is not because they are free, but because very few people actually make their own web pages anymore.  Most people sign up for a community service or blog of some sort, where the hosting company manages the scripting software, and you can simply worry about your content.  For example, why make your own gallery and deal with FTP, HTML, and CSS, when you can join DeviantArt instead?  Whether DeviantArt is a good service or not is arguable, but that's what people are doing these days.

Even a cheap paid host will offer pretty much everything needed by the board, and without ads, too.  Free hosts are, naturally, crippled by default in the hopes that you'll upgrade to a paid account in the future.

I'll try to get the oekaki working for at least a month at Orgfree.com and if members are complaining that Java is not working at all, I'll have a go with AvaFreeHost if that's okay with you. smile

Offline

#8 09-06-2009 21:06:41

rainbow
Member

Re: Did you have a website hosted on OekakiArt?

Wac, my oekaki at netTHRILLdesigns is finally finished! Have a look: http://ppgrainbow.netthrilldesigns.com/

Edit: I'm afraid that I had to move from Orgfree and to a new host. Apparently, Orgfee has no support for Java on its free accounts after the free no-ad trial period ended. sad

Last edited by rainbow (09-10-2009 06:21:42)

Offline

#9 05-25-2010 09:12:13

smithdwsn
New member

Re: Did you have a website hosted on OekakiArt?

No. i did not hosted any website on OekakiArt. But this is very sad news for OekakiArt. I think it will be recovery as soon as early. It is great.

Offline

#10 07-15-2010 13:08:43

faerrleah
New member

Re: Did you have a website hosted on OekakiArt?

I did not hosted but its really sad for OekakiArt. I hope it will recover as soon as early. I like its services.

Offline

#11 12-13-2010 17:52:00

arisidhe
Member

Re: Did you have a website hosted on OekakiArt?

Just for the record guys, checked OA's site recently and, though there's not much there, there's a promise of it coming back eventually, so keep your fingers crossed!  wink
http://oekakiart.com/

Offline

#12 04-02-2011 01:31:11

isaac-sul
New member

Re: Did you have a website hosted on OekakiArt?

I have tried oekaki and i think it really is great.  I made the big shift coming from OA because it was already on the downfall some years back. There were times when it would not even let me log-in, and the limit in functionality really killed me, almost everything was disabled.  Then updates hardly came stretching to months without bug fixes.

Offline

#13 04-02-2011 22:21:19

rainbow
Member

Re: Did you have a website hosted on OekakiArt?

I'm sorry to say this, but OekakiArt development will eventually be on hold for a indefinite period of time until one of the site owner's other projects are finished. sad

Offline

#14 04-06-2012 21:27:16

snow922
New member

Re: Did you have a website hosted on OekakiArt?

"I've noticed that no one has posted in the General Oekaki Discussions boards over the past couple of months, but this is important." I also think so!

Offline

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB