NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 01-25-2006 18:07:08

Prizm

Error Updating...

I'm editing this post because rather than update, I deleted everything and replaced it with the latest download and am attempting to install. I'm now battling with this error..

Wrote database config file...
Wrote config file...

Wrote base “resource” folder files...

Starting to set up database...

Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user: 'alyse_alyse@cpanel18.fuitadnet.com' (Using password: YES) in /home/alyse/public_html/paint/dbconn.php on line 10
Could not connect to the MySQL database.

Do you know what this means?.. please help?

Last edited by Prizm (01-25-2006 18:20:10)

#2 01-26-2006 06:37:39

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Error Updating...

Someone recently had this problem, so I'll cut-and-paste this tip:

The problem is that the database isn't accepting your name or password.  Bear in mind that some control panels that set up your database may add a prefix without telling you.  For example, if I create a database called "my_db" on my server, it is automatically prefixed with [a clipped version of] my account name, as follows:  "ninechim_my_db".  The same can happen with your database user name.  On my server, if I create an account named "Marc", the end result would be "ninechim_Marc".

If the control panel for your web site does that, make sure you use the full name, with prefix, when using the installer.

If you had a database name/password that worked fine before the update, I'm not sure what would be going wrong now.

#3 01-26-2006 08:29:31

Prizm

(Ack, and I'm positive the username and pass are correct..) How about "hostname" ? I wasn't sure what to put in that field

#4 01-26-2006 08:33:26

Prizm

Oh yay, the problem dissapeared when I changed the hostname back to "local host." Thanks for your help, and again for creating and sharing your awesome version of this program!

#5 01-27-2006 03:55:58

Waccoon
Administrator

Heh.  I'm just glad it works.  smile

For those of you new to databases, most of the time your hostname will be "localhost" (no space between the two words).  This tells the server that the database is on the same machine as the HTTP server (which is what actually "serves" web pages over the Internet to your home comptuer).  Some ISPs have dedicated computers only for running databases, and in those cases, you may have to put a special path or IP address in the hostname field which points to the correct computer.  However, this is pretty rare these days, due to huge improvements in budget server performance.  "localhost" should always be tried first.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB