NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 01-28-2006 16:08:26

naeru

shipainter vs JRE or something else?

i just installed a wacintaki board today and had some mysql table problems that i figured out easy enough.

now the problem is... shipainter isn't working for any of the members. what gives? the newest version of JRE dosn't work with shipainter? thats really one of the important features i installed wacintaki for instead of another oekakipotato so its sad that its not working.

i read that "Java needs proper read permissions to run applets off servers," from http://www.ninechime.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=76 and the shipainter directory needs to be 644 or 755 (right?) and i've tried both, my server seems to deafult it to 744 or something though. i still get a sad little x in the corner of the applet. i've reuploaded the shipainter directory in binary and ascii and still everyone is getting an X in the corner.

i'm using JRE version 1.5.0_06 and as far as i can tell, the current version of wacintaki (1.2.5?). other members are using similar versions of jre or a little older, but not by much. i thought it was just me, but its everyone else.

this is what the java console is saying when i try to load the shipainter applet:

load: class c.ShiPainter.class not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: c.ShiPainter.class
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: open HTTP connection failed.
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getBytes(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    ... 10 more
load: class c.ShiPainter.class not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: c.ShiPainter.class
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: open HTTP connection failed.
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getBytes(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    ... 10 more
Exception in thread "Thread-10" java.lang.NullPointerException
    at sun.plugin.util.GrayBoxPainter.showLoadingError(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.showAppletException(Unknown Source)

:\ its at http://oekaki.genus-cereus.com but i don't know if that'll help or not but i'm pretty lost on this.

#2 01-28-2006 21:24:47

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: shipainter vs JRE or something else?

The shipainter folder is not public.  If you try to access the folder directly, the server returns a 403 error (forbidden).  Since Java cannot even download the animation player, this is a strictly a server issue.

CHMODing the folder to 755 should solve the problem, which allows the public to access it.  If you can't CHMOD the folder with an FTP program for some reason, you may have to contact your sysadmin to find out why.  Some servers are more paranoid about security than others, though defaulting to 744 is pretty dumb.  [RANT]I don't like it when sysadmins do that, because many people will CHMOD everything to the least restrictive settings possible (777) without much knowledge of what the numbers mean.[/RANT]

Are you using FTP to CHMOD the folder, or some kind of web-based file manager?

#3 01-29-2006 17:21:30

naeru

i've used both ftp (first before i noticed it switching back) and the cpanel file manager (which managed to stick but still didn't work), i figured that me setting it to 644 and it changing it to 744 was pretty lame. i'll give 755 a try though!

i also found out with the paintbbs that while i can use the applet, the picture didn't save or its not viewable to us (i think a 403 error comes up when i try to view just the picture). so its prolly permissions again but i don't know what folder i would need to change. i'm guessing that its the pictures directory, yea? i'm going to try 755 on that so correct me if i'm wrong here. NEVERMIND THAT, i changed it to 755, and the pictures come up now. however, the 755 on the shipainter folder isn't working so we still can't see the applet.

Last edited by naeru (01-29-2006 17:29:32)

#4 01-29-2006 23:06:30

Waccoon
Administrator

Hmm... well, there's a couple problems, here.

First, I downloaded the ShiPainter applet and did a diff (compare) to the original, and it appears it was uploaded in ASCII mode.  There's corruption all throughout the "spainter_all.jar" file.  Switch your FTP program manually to binary mode and re-upload it.  Sometimes, FTP programs choke when trying to figure out if a file is ASCII or binary.

Second, I tried to register, and the registration link didn't work.  That means the control panel setting for "URL to OekakiPoteto" is wrong.  There should be a dot between "oekaki" and "genus".

I don't see any other permission errors, so take care of those two things and you should be all set.

BTW, it's kinda dumb, but the ShiPainter program is located in the oekaki root folder.  Only the animation player and shipainter resource files are located in the "shipainter" folder.  That's bad organization on my part, but I didn't want to mess around with the PaintBBS files when I added ShiPainter.

#5 01-31-2006 03:37:14

naeru

okay sweet. when i first re uploaded i and set  permissions (again) it didn't work right away. but now its totally working ^____^.

thanks!

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB