NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 02-22-2006 16:53:42

Mirelle

Template Issues?

Okay, I created two new oekakis on my site, meaning I now have three, a normal oekaki, a spam board and an advanced oekaki.
My problem is I made my first template, one for the spam oekaki. Unfortunately, everything turned out like a default HTML document, all the default settings such as white background, black text, blue links and purple visited links. All the fonts are all 12pt as well.
Unfortunately, I can't provide a screenshot 'cause my PRT SCRN button isn't working, but here's a link:

http://paradoxed.pa.funpic.org/graveyard/oekaki/

I'd really like some help, it's not working and the template is bugging me. Thanks ^^

Last edited by Mirelle (02-22-2006 19:04:06)

#2 02-23-2006 04:05:08

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Template Issues?

There is some kind of syntax error in your custom template "Graveyard.php", so the template isn't building properly.

If you view the template in a web browser, it should print out the actual CSS code.  If it prints nothing, there's probably a missing semicolon somewhere.

Once you fix the PHP template, you must delete the CSS version from the templates folder.  Wacintaki will then build a new template file automatically.

If you're really having problems with the PHP template, you can edit a CSS template directly.  Wacintaki will work just fine if it finds only a CSS template and not a PHP version.  Or, you can just e-mail the template to me and I'll find out where the error is.  I have a good text editor, so it takes me, like, two seconds to find out what's wrong.

#3 02-23-2006 20:48:02

Mirelle

Alright, I'll send it to you, I'm only using notepad and I'm totally new at this.

I have a new problem, my oekaki isn't working at all ><;
It says on all three of my oekakis that I cannot connect to the MySQL database. I checked my webhost, the MySQL is active, and I can't access the install page to see if I had made any mistakes. All three oekakis were running fine yesterday, including both my new ones, and my older one, which has alot of members and over 16 pages of pictures. I don't know if the template could have caused this problem, I have no idea what happened.
It might have something to do with the fact that my program, SmartFTP, can connect to the server for one second, then then it is 'Caused to abort by software in my computer'.

Could you help? Please and thank you ^^;

#4 02-24-2006 05:02:05

Waccoon
Administrator

I'll get that new template to you now.  Remember, you'll need to delete the "Graveyard.css" file for the new template to rebuild properly.

As for your oekaki not working, there is a problem with your database.  When I ran dbconn.php, I got this error:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Too many connections in /usr/export/www/hosting/paradoxed/graveyard/oekaki/dbconn.php on line 10

You'll have to contact your sysadmin about this.  They may have the server set up to use persistent connections, or your account has too few connections available.  The template issue wouldn't cause this problem.

It might have something to do with the fact that my program, SmartFTP, can connect to the server for one second, then then it is 'Caused to abort by software in my computer'.

Hmm... you may have to try another FTP program.  On Windows, they're all a bit different.  If you look at the Wacintaki documentation ("manual.html"), there's a list of programs you can try.

#5 02-24-2006 18:48:10

Mirelle

...Maybe I just have too many oekakis. If I don't have enough connections to the MySQL database, could that be the issue?
Anyways, my oekakis are working again. I think two new oekakis in such a short time could have made the server spazz also.

I'm having a new template problem, none of my text colors are showing up properly. I even tried making the background lighter, but that didn't work. All my texts are the same color as the background.
If it wouldn't be a nuisance, could you possibly open up the template again and check if there is an issue? I don't know if it's just my browser, I'll go open the oekaki in IE and see how it works.

EDIT: Nope, it's not just Firefox. I checked it, and it was possibly even worse. Apparently, IE doesn't like transparency in PNGs...

Last edited by Mirelle (02-24-2006 19:16:57)

#6 02-24-2006 19:37:51

Mirelle

It seems I have the same issue as Anarki had. It says my current template is 'Failsafe', and under 'Current Template Details' is the php code. I tried what you said, deleting and re-uploading it, but it didn't work. THink you could take another look at the code(like I asked in my previous post)?

#7 02-25-2006 03:51:17

Waccoon
Administrator

I'm not really sure what colors you want for your board.  But, you can just e-mail the file to me again and I'll look at it.  The template you have on your site now is quite different than the last one you gave me.

Here's a dark template you can use as reference:  Winter Purple.  It has white text throughout, though.

Also, here's some info you may find useful...

- Yes, IE doesn't like transparrent PNGs.  For now, you'll have to use GIFs if you want transparrency.

- Firefox is fussier about color format than IE.  If you don't use keywords like "red", "black", "green", and so forth, make sure your hex colors are preceeded by a hash.  The numbers "5533A0" and "#5533A0" mean different things.  IE fixes numbers without the hash, but I don't think Firefox does, at least not always.

- Avoid editing anything below the line that says "// Modes".  The template starts using HERE DOCUMENTS syntax, where quotes and double quotes do not function as expected, and the use of quotes can confuse web browsers.  If you need to edit things there to get the effect you want, using the regular CSS file helps avoid problems.  If there's a CSS file, but no PHP file, Wacintaki will work just fine.  Just make sure you have a backup of your template, just in case.

- The most common mistakes when editing template files is forgetting a semicolon at the end of each line, or using the wrong quotes.  Try to keep each line looking the same.  Editing templates with Word Wrap turned off in Notepad may make things easier.

- And, no, it isn't easy to make templates in Wacintaki.  I'm not happy with this system and will replace it with something easier to use on my new board.  I'm afraid it's too much trouble to add a template editor, now.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB