NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 02-27-2006 21:10:28

RobineTTe

help me please!!!!

ok ... i downloaded the Wacintaki ... and now I'm trying to install it ... but its not working. Everytime i try to install it, a little dialog box comes up saying that it failed to open. Would somene be willing to talk me through this? I'm fairly new to the whole Oekaki thing ...

#2 02-28-2006 04:22:39

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: help me please!!!!

Could you be a bit more specific than "failed to open?"  That almost sounds like the ZIP file is corrupt.  wink

There are precise step-by-step directions in the documentation folder (manual.html), but here's a basic run-down.  Pardon spelling errors, as I am typing this with bandaged fingers...

First, you need to upload the files to your server.  Create a folder called "oekaki" (or something) and upload all the files from the "oekaki" folder of your distribution to that folder on the server.  Do not copy the documentation folder, "new_chat" folder, etc.

Once your files have been uploaded, you need to create a MySQL database.  Log into your server management account.  Most ISPs present you with a list of tools for maintaining your website.  Look for something relating to MySQL or databases and go there.  There should be a set of options for creating databases and users.  Create a database, and a dedicated user for accessing the database.  Please note that after making a database, most control panel software will automatically prefix your database and db_user name with a prefix, which is usually the name of your server login.  So, if you log in as "bob" and create the database "oekaki", the actual database name may end up being "bob_oekaki".  The same rule applies to your database username.  Once the database and username are created, assign that username to the database.  That will be your database username that you will have to enter into the installer.

Once this is done, try to view the oekaki board.  It should tell you to run the installer.  If not, you may need to CHMOD the oekaki folder to something less restrictive (for an explanation of CHMOD, read the manual).  Only do this if the installer doesn't work.  Most servers use 755 as the default.  Try using 775.  If you get a server 500 error, your permissions are too high, and you should use something more restrictive.  777 really should not be used.  755 and 775 almost always work.

When you get to the installer, insert this information:

Database Hostname:  (Almost always "localhost" unless your ISP uses a dedictated server for SQL.  Some free ISPs do this).

Database Name:  (Name of database, such as "bob_oekaki")

Database Username:  (Like "bob_oekakiuser")

Database Password:  (Like "explodingmeatloaf")

The rest of the installer should be self-explanatory.  Make sure the "URL to OekakiPoteto" is correct, complete "with http://"!  The installer only takes a guess at the correct value, and it doesn't always work.  If this is wrong, people will not be able to register.

After submitting the installer, you should get a notice whether the database and resource files were created.  If not, take down the error messages you get and let me know what they say.  If you finish with the installer and the board doesn't display correctly, let me know of any errors you get, and/or provide a link.

The Wacintaki manual also gives more detailed information about FTP and stuff.  It has a "newbie guide" that explains a few things everyone needs to know to run a web site, not just an oekaki.

#3 02-28-2006 22:27:50

RobineTTe

ok ... i don't get the MySQL thing ... where do i create one of them? wwwmysql.com??? the manual doesn't really say ...

#4 02-28-2006 22:34:09

RobineTTe

welll it probably does but i'm too confused to see it

#5 03-01-2006 05:36:33

Waccoon
Administrator

MySQL is a program that runs on a server.  Most of the time, it runs on the same server that dishes out your web pages, although some web hosts have dedicated servers that only run MySQL and nothing else.

If the MySQL server runs on the same machine as the rest of your website, the host name will be "localhost".  If a dedicated server hosts the database, you may have to type in something like, "sql.MyServer.com".  You'll need to check with your ISP to know what to use, but I'd say 90%+ of the time, "localhost" will work.

As for setting up the database, that depends on your hosting company.  If you have no clue how to set up the database (especially if you don't have access to tools like CPanel and phpMyAdmin), then you should ask your system administrator for help.

How do you log into your server to update your website?  Do you only have FTP available, or do you go to a page like, "www.MyServer.com/controlpanel/", and then log in?

You could also tell me which hosting company you use.  They usually have a features page somewhere that explains what services are available.

Read the manual a bit, though.  If you're not too familiar with this kind of stuff, running an oekaki may be a bit troublesome.  wink

#6 03-01-2006 20:45:11

RobineTTe

All i wanted was to download PaintBBS or OekakiBBs ... i don't understand why i have to do all this other stuff to get it ... but thanx for your help...

#7 03-03-2006 19:55:37

RobineTTe

umm ... do you have a link to download Shi Painter? i just want to download the program. i don't want an Oekaki board to post my stuff on. i just want the program to draw it in ...

#8 03-04-2006 05:56:09

Waccoon
Administrator

Ah.  The applets are hosted on ShiChan's website:

The site is in Japanese, but you should be able to find the applet downloads easily.

PaintBBS
ShiPainter

If I remember correctly, each of these downloads comes with an HTML file that starts the applet.  However, you cannot save the images directly without a webserver running on your own computer.  The applets do not work like standard paint programs and do not load/save files directly from/to your computer.  You may, however, take a screenshot.

If you want a real paint program, I'm afraid you'll have to look around a bit.  One free program that has been getting around lately is ArtRage 2.  I haven't tried it myself, but people keep telling me it's awesome.

#9 03-04-2006 08:04:30

RobineTTe

i downloaded the ArtRage one .... its awesome. THANKS so much!

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB