NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 05-07-2006 19:02:49

Dreams

English PHP Error

Hi again!

Upon trying to install a Wacintaki, I got this error:

Warning: main(language/english.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/rosewhip/public_html/proekaki/install.php on line 37

Warning: main(): Failed opening 'language/english.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/rosewhip/public_html/proekaki/install.php on line 37

Also, I was reading up in some of the other threads about permissions. My server will absolutely not let me use anything but 777, or else the Wac errors COMPLETELY. I mean, 755 and 775 give me this error in addition to the above:

You need to CHMOD your main directory so it is writable (use 777 if you are not sure what to use).

You need to CHMOD the templates directory so it is writable (use 777 if you are not sure what to use).

The resource folder is present but not writable. CHMOD it so it is writable (use 777 if you are not sure what to use).

At least when I set things to 777, it gives me the install page, but I think some fields aren't showing up because of that first "english" error. 777 isn't going to be very secure, is it? I've never had a problem with hackers and the like, but the other threads I read made me uncomfortable.

Help, please? <3

#2 05-07-2006 21:46:58

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: English PHP Error

The installer checks that the files are writable, not that they are set to a specific CHMOD number.  So, if 777 is the only thing that works (very unusual), that's probably what you need to do.

One thing you can try is to set the execute bit only.  Some servers with weird security policies demand this.  So, try 757 instead of 777 to see if that works.  Yes, I know CHMOD numbers are cryptic.  That's UNIX for you.  wink

I assume that if your server only allows 777 to be used, there is some kind of proprietary security solution being used by the server, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Web servers handle a lot of security themselves on top of the operating system, so using 755 instead of 775 or 777 is mostly about local security policies, rather than Internet security.

#3 05-08-2006 00:21:54

Dreams

My server accepted 757, but nothing made that error go away. This is at the top of the Wac:

Warning: main(language/english.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/rosewhip/public_html/proekaki/boot.php on line 254

Warning: main(): Failed opening 'language/english.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/rosewhip/public_html/proekaki/boot.php on line 254

In the documentation, it says to set the language, shipainter, and smilies folders to 644. No matter how many times I do it, when I reconnect, the folders are automatically reset to 744. I've never had chmod permissions consistently change back on me...

But, I can't seem to log in or do much of anything.
The board's at: http://www.rosewhip.net/proekaki

Ack!

#4 05-08-2006 00:34:14

Waccoon
Administrator

Question: did you CHMOD the folder after uploading it to the server?  The language folder, as well as most of the rest of the files, do not need to be explicitly set to 644.  You can just copy them.

Try deleting the language folder and recopying it, without setting a CHMOD number explicitly.  If that dosn't work, you'll have to contact your hosting company.  A server that refuses to make folders writable unless they are 777 is very, very unusual, and there may actually be a configuration problem with your account.

#5 05-08-2006 02:14:42

Dreams

Thanks again!

I just reuploaded the language folder, and it automatically set it to 755, and seems to be staying there. But the board works fine now.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB