NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 05-27-2006 09:23:01

Espeon

Database - dont have

I dont have a database and it asks for the name. So what do I do?

#2 05-27-2006 22:28:18

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Database - dont have

There should be a tool in your server control panel that lets you create databases.  Most web hosts have a special address you can type in (such as "www.myhost.com/myaccount/controlpanel/", where you can log in and perform various maintenance on your web site, and get statistics.  How you set up the database depends on the host, and what tools are offered.  You want to look for something like "SQL databases" or "MySQL".  Only MySQL is supported by my oekaki.  PostgreSQL is not supported, if you happen to see it.

You need to do two things:  create a database, and then create a database user with a password.  The database username should be different than your server control panel login for security reasons.  Once you create a database, assign the database user you created to the database.  You can't use a database without assigning a designated username to it.  A word of caution:  sometimes the server will add a prefix to the database name and username without telling you, so look for that.  If your server login is "bob", and your database name is "oekaki", the actual database name may end up being "bob_oekaki".  The same may happen with the database username.

Once you have your database, make sure all the uploaded files have been CHMOD correctly, according to the directions in the manual.  Then, you're ready to run the installer.

When installing Wacintaki, the server host is almost always "localhost" (one word, all lower case).  If it isn't, check you server's FAQ or ask your system administrator what it is.  The database name, username, and password must then be typed in.

The rest of the installer should be self-explanatory, such as, the e-mail address used for account activation, and your administrator login.  Everything else should be set to defaults, but you may want to verify that everything is OK, especially the "URL to OekakiPoteto".  The installer only guesses that value, and you MUST make sure it is correct.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB