NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 06-07-2006 19:14:43

Doom Fox

Thumb Table

Hello, first of all I installed and made a layout for my girlfriend's page, what my concern is that, I want to set a specific width to the thumbnail's table because if someone draws a picture with less width the table will shrink and the next one of the comments will be widen, I want to avoid all of this so if anyone wants to know how to do it, I'll apreciate it greatly.

#2 06-08-2006 04:41:18

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Thumb Table

So, you want all the posts to be the same width?  Is there a specific reason, or do you just want all the tables to be aligned so they look good?

You'll probably end up having to edit the index file.  Open it, and search for "<!-- Postdata -->".  The <td> that follows this line is the one that controls the width of the picture table element.  Put a hard-coded width="blah" in there to force it to a minimum size.

Bear in mind that inline sizes and CSS don't mix very well.  In fact, tables in general are a REAL pain in the butt.  Make sure you test the layout in both Internet Explorer and another browser such as Firefox or Opera.  Werid things may result if you use hard-coded widths.

#3 06-08-2006 11:26:56

Doom Fox

Well, the reason is that I want them a specific size due to the fact that I may put a Background on a post's table.
But thanks for your help Waccoon, I'll see what  I can do.

Edit: I tested it but I doesn't works, this is how I wrote it.

Code:

<!-- Postdata -->
        <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center;" width="250px" valign="top">

I have other questions though Waccoon, when I click on the "Online" to see the people who's on the board, and you see their location "Oekaki Index" But other than that if someone's drawing I don't see the title set like "Drawing Oekaki" and whatnot like other boards I've been on to.

And how can I make so when someone clicks on the thumbnail instead of linking it directly to the picture, can't I change it to link it to an html showing the picture so I can still have the Oekaki's layout on it? Or instead of it while hovering the mouse it shows the true size picture overlaping the page?

Last edited by Doom Fox (06-08-2006 14:53:46)

#4 06-09-2006 07:32:11

Waccoon
Administrator

Edit: I tested it but I doesn't works, this is how I wrote it.

I forgot that the board uses CSS margins for padding the content, so using hard-coded widths in the tables won't work.  You won't be able to use a minimum size for the left table element unless you hard-code exact measurements for the entire table, which renders the whole board specific to one screen resolution.  You could also use the old "transparrent GIF" trick, where a 1x1 pixel GIF is inserted into the picture table element and stretched to 250 pixels wide.  This acts as a spacer.

Why no minimum or maximum sizes for table elements?  You can thank our lovely friends at the W3C for that bulls***.

I have other questions though Waccoon, when I click on the "Online" to see the people who's on the board, and you see their location "Oekaki Index" But other than that if someone's drawing I don't see the title set like "Drawing Oekaki" and whatnot like other boards I've been on to.

Yeah.  I didn't feel like updating all the script names for such a minor feature.

And how can I make so when someone clicks on the thumbnail instead of linking it directly to the picture, can't I change it to link it to an html showing the picture so I can still have the Oekaki's layout on it? Or instead of it while hovering the mouse it shows the true size picture overlaping the page?

The first method requires sending the picture number to a dedicated display script.  The code in comment.php can basicly be copied to a new file to do that.  The second method requires some DOM and JavaScript tricks which can cause problems on various browsers, so I wouldn't do it that way.

#5 06-09-2006 07:53:55

Doom Fox

Thanks a lot man, I really apreciate it!

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB