NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 01-09-2006 22:59:38

Lupin

Wacintaki cutomization questions

Hi
Wacintaki 1.2.5 is the first drawing program set that has worked completely on any server that I've tried.  (I actually changed web companies so I could have a drawing bbs.)  Although I had to manually upload the ASCII files as ASCII, as smartftp didn't differenciate them on auto mode, and then I had to chmod the directories to 777 rather than the initially recommended chmod settings, before installer would properly run.

I am the type of person that wants to customize my drawing bbs.  Now that Wacintaki is installed, I would like to make modifications.   

As on this web site http://maniya-web.hp.infoseek.co.jp/cgi-bin/bbsnote.cgi (Japanese)
or on this site http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/drawboard/bbsnote.cgi (English)
I would like to have the settings used for starting a new drawing to be all already available on the top of the front page, rather than have them set on a new page that comes between the front page and the drawing app.  (Also I don't need the feature from that inbetween page that shows a pre-view of the image size.)

Also I was wondering if it would be possible to allow unregistered people to post and draw, but prevent them from using registered members user names. 

There are lost of other things I might want to change that I might ask for help with later. 
Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by Lupin (01-09-2006 23:07:32)

#2 01-10-2006 04:12:24

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Wacintaki cutomization questions

then I had to chmod the directories to 777 rather than the initially recommended chmod settings, before installer would properly run.

Some servers are more paranoid about security than others, and require 775 instead of 755.  777 is fine, though.

I would like to have the settings used for starting a new drawing to be all already available on the top of the front page, rather than have them set on a new page that comes between the front page and the drawing app.

This is how OekakiPoteto and Wax Poteto work.  Wacintaki doesn't have rotating menus, so you would have to add this code to either the banner or the notice ("Edit Banners", then paste this code in one of the windows):

Code:

<div class="infotable" style="text-align: center; margin: 0 50px 0 50px;">
    <form action="draw.php" method="get" style="margin: 0; padding: 0;">
        Applet:
        <select name="applet" class="multiline">
            <option selected value="shi">ShiPainter</option>
            <option value="shipro">ShiPainter Pro</option>
            <option value="paintbbs">PaintBBS</option>
        </select>

Width:
        <input name="canvasx" type="text" value="<?=$cfg['def_x'];?>" size="4" class="txtinput" />
        Height:
        <input name="canvasy" type="text" value="<?=$cfg['def_y'];?>" size="4" class="txtinput" />
        &nbsp;
        <input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit" class="submit" />
    </form>
</div>

To removed the word "Draw" from the menu, you'll have to open up header.php and edit line 145.  Remove this:

Code:

if ($flags['D']) {
    $right_menu[] = '<a href="draw.php"><strong>'.$langop_word_draw.'!</strong></a>';
}

Not recommended, of course, just in case your banner/notice gets erased somehow.

Also I was wondering if it would be possible to allow unregistered people to post and draw, but prevent them from using registered members user names.

I'm trying to get this to work in v1.3, but I can't make any promises.  I'm working on a lot of other things that require considerable code cleanup.

#3 01-21-2006 18:03:54

Lupin

Hi Thanks for the help.

I need to change the name of my main administrator, and there's already a few other users signed up.   (The users haven't posted or uploaded as of right now but the admin has)

So would uploading and running the install.php file with the new administrator name fix it w/out loosing the users?   Or is there a better way to go about it?

#4 01-22-2006 02:37:34

Waccoon
Administrator

A script has to be written to properly convert names in the database.  Running the installer again will do nothing but flush the whole board.

I'll see if I can get something done for you.  It's not that difficult... I think.  wink

#5 01-22-2006 06:24:22

Waccoon
Administrator

OK, try this.  Login as an owner, then run this script.  Type in the names, and you should be all set.

changename.zip

#6 01-24-2006 21:29:44

Lupin

Thanks that worked!

Is it possible to allow for a "draft number" to be added to the file name?  For example drawing #00001 on its second draft could be called 00001_2.png 

This way when someone continues a drawing, the new image will show on the page without requiring the replacement of the users' internet cache.

Also is it possible to add place holding zeros in the front of the file number?  This is just so that the file order can match computer-order if I were to save some of them to a hard drive and display them.
(The above mentioned boards are examples that do this.  )

edit:
in the above mentioned example boards, I believe the 2nd draft would be counted as 00001_1.png with the first draft just being 00001.png. 
Either's fine but "_2" or "_02" for the 2nd draft is more accurate as it reflects the 'draft number' rather than the 'number of continues'.  Any opinions?

Most people continue less than 10 times, and I've never seen three digits of continues,
so if any, one zero place holder for the number of continues should be enough.  (example: 00001_02.png)
PS Hope noone minds that I got a bit technical.  I'm sure you've thought of half this kind of stuff alleady wink

Last edited by Lupin (01-24-2006 22:06:59)

#7 01-25-2006 05:30:22

Waccoon
Administrator

Is it possible to allow for a "draft number" to be added to the file name?  For example drawing #00001 on its second draft could be called 00001_2.png

Wacintaki dosn't have an architecture that makes version control practical.  I'll consider this for my new oekaki project.

1.3 will have a WIP feature, so people can keep editing a picture and post it when they are done.  But, that's about it.

Caching issues will be somewhat fixed, as 1.3 no longer recyles image numbers.  Retouches, though, still have this problem.

Really, I think I've taken OP as far as it can go without a complete rewrite.  That's why 1.3 will be the last major version of Wacintaki.

Also is it possible to add place holding zeros in the front of the file number?  This is just so that the file order can match computer-order if I were to save some of them to a hard drive and display them.

I've thought about it, but there's a lot of things to change, as so many different pieces of the code handle filenames.  Adding the board prefixes was more work than I thought, and I'm not sure I want to go throught that all over again.  I'll think about it, though.  I'd just rather not add yet another API to Wacintaki to handle something that could be done so much easier in another board with a simple fprint().

#8 02-01-2006 01:16:33

Lupin

I would like to left-justify all the pictures as much as possible, rather than center the large pictures.  I like the 1st comments to be on the right of the picture when possible and fit on the screen (if the picture isn't too wide of course).   Is this possible?
This is my drawing bbs if you need to see it artificialeclipse.com/dbbs/waci
For example, (my screen is on 1024x768 and the browser is full screen) next to this picture artificialeclipse.com/dbbs/waci/index.php#33 the comments could fit on the right.

edit: I got close to this in a user account by putting the thumbnail mode on "default" and the Picture View Mode setting to "horrizontal".  I would like to have the comments to be left-justified also once they pass below the picture.  & I'd like it to be the default way the board displays.

(I've seen a couple of boards where every other picture is left-justified, and the rest are right-justified.  This might be a fun suggestion but I'm not asking for it at this time. wink )

Thanks Waccoon

Last edited by Lupin (08-17-2006 04:54:51)

#9 02-01-2006 03:53:10

Waccoon
Administrator

I would like to left-justify all the pictures as much as possible, rather than center the large pictures.  I like the 1st comments to be on the right of the picture when possible and fit on the screen (if the picture isn't too wide of course).   Is this possible?

HTML isn't really a layout language, so these kinds of things are very tricky to do.  You can't do things like, "if the picture is half as wide as the screen, wrap the text differently."  Wacintaki takes a number of guesses, trying to be friendly to people with small screens.  Making anything appear side-by-side in HTML is pretty difficult without causing problems in different browsers or hard-coding to only one screen resolution.  Overall, to answer your question, I'd say no.  It's certainly more trouble than it's worth.

Sorry, but I prefer to do things properly, if possible, so I'm not too keen on adding table wizardry and JavaScript to handle layout.

I would like to have the comments to be left-justified also once they pass below the picture.

Whoo boy... you've just touched up on the thing about HTML that drives me NUTS.  I've been trying to do this for months with my new gallery, and nothing other than tables works, and tables suck.

Things like this cannot be done in HTML/CSS without the use of floating images, and I've never been able to get them to work properly.  Each browser shows things differently, and none of them seem to put images in places that make sense.  Just adding avatars to 1.3 and wrapping comments correctly around them has been a major pain.  Doing it with tables isn't hard, but then things only work with one screen resolution, and Internet Explorer makes all the comments run off-screen, while FireFox won't fill up the entire comment box.  It's a major problem that can only be fixed with tables, and I am definately not using table layouts in Wacintaki.  The whole reason I created Wacintaki in the first place is to convert the code to CSS.

It's not impossible, it just feels like it without resorting to terrible hacks.  You can blame the people who created HTML for this mess.  I don't think it will ever be fixed, the way the W3C runs things.

I've seen a couple of boards where every other picture is left-justified, and the rest are right-justified.

Interestingly, this feature is trivial.  I didn't think it looked that good when I tried it, though, especially on large screens.

#10 02-03-2006 01:48:12

Lupin

Can threads be started w/out drawings or uploaded images?

Can images be uploaded in a reply message (that doesn't start the thread)?

#11 02-04-2006 04:44:04

Waccoon
Administrator

Can threads be started w/out drawings or uploaded images?

Nope.  Oekaki isn't really a forum or chat room.  When I was using NoteBBS, people always complained about posts without pictures.

Can images be uploaded in a reply message (that doesn't start the thread)?

That requires support for BBCode, which allows you to add [proper] links, images, and other content into a reply.  OekakiPoteto uses a simpler system called "NiftyToo", and it doesn't support this.

#12 06-20-2006 03:41:14

Lupin

In Wacintaki 1.3.2 I would like to move the

View: & Search:

boxes up one line  like this

View:  FAQ  | Memberlist  | Online (0) | Rules!  Search:  Register  | Recover Password

I have deleted the

if ($flags['D']) {
    $right_menu[] = '<a href="draw.php"><strong>'.$langop_word_draw.'!</strong></a>';
}

code relating to the "Draw!" button already.

please teach me how, if this is feasible

-

edit:  Also I would like the drawing apps to start at full screen width, rather than having to click the button first to get full width, at least in ShiPainter Pro.

2nd edit: I just read your post replying to this in the suggestions area.  Is it possible to simulate a mouse pushing the button using  code (or is that what you meant)?  Hmm I would guess no with java/php....

What about adding a wider starting width (at least for shi painter pro), would that be possible?

Thank you

PS you are right Hyper Text ML isn't good enough for modern non-simple internet page layouts.

Last edited by Lupin (06-22-2006 01:43:33)

#13 06-20-2006 07:15:53

Waccoon
Administrator

Moving the view and search tools around isn't that hard.  It does make things kinda crowded, though, especially for people who use 800x600 screens.  I'll try a different layout for you to try (haveta be tomorrow, though).

Also I would like the drawing apps to start at full screen width.

I haven't had much luck getting code to run on page loads.  I might be doing something wrong, or the browser is trying to run the code before the page fully loads.  I'm not that good with JavaScript.

What about adding a wider starting width (at least for shi painter pro), would that be possible?

Sure.  I assume that most people are using an 800x600 screen (based on my web server stats).  It's possible to go larger, though.

Open up shiBBS.php, paintBBS.php, or noteBBS.php, and look for a few lines like this:

// Bug in Mac version of Java requires hard-coded values, rather than CSS.  >:(
// Typical viewable width of 800x600 browser is 740px.
    $xhack = '740';
// Typical height
    $yhack = '550';

Change the $xhack and $yhack variables to whatever you like.  That's the default size of the applet.

You could also change the applet width to "100%", but that will crash some browsers.  The height must always be hard-coded, since height is always dynamic in HTML.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB