NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

#1 03-19-2008 21:56:02

Pwah

Install.php broken?!

** I got it working. **

Last edited by Pwah (03-20-2008 18:27:16)

#2 03-22-2008 20:58:04

Waccoon
Administrator

Re: Install.php broken?!

Is there any info you can provide about the problem?  Even if it's working now, I like to know about niggling issues for future reference, especially when the server is being fussy.

#3 03-23-2008 10:23:55

Pwah

Not exactly sure.

I just re-downloaded and installed it back. Worked fine.

However, I am having two problems:
1. One of my users has -2 pictures...
2. Another user can't seem to submit the content, they have tried updating Java and still no.
D=

#4 03-25-2008 05:33:04

Waccoon
Administrator

The negative picture count is a bug that's been in the board for a while.  I'll track down the extra subtraction sooner or later.  sad

A lot of things can cause upload errors, the most common of which is the SocketPermission error, which affects the latest version of Java.  If the person who is having upload issues is using Firefox, tell them to try another browser, like IE or Opera.  Firefox and Java 6 don't get along that well, and MANY applets across the Internet are having issues.  Until Sun releases a patch for Java, the only workaround is to not use Firefox.  Other submission problems can be caused by server settings, but if only a small number of people are having upload issues, most likely it is the web browser or Java that is the issue.  Trying a different web browser is a good idea.

#5 03-25-2008 09:40:46

acwitness

Hi,

Wanted to mention that there actually is a way to work around the SocketPermission error for those who really want to use Firefox. Several members of my board, myself included have used it. These are the instructions I send to members who request it:

-----------------------------------------
Workaround for Firefox java bug

1. First, let’s verify which version of java you are using. In the Firefox address window, enter about:plugins then go to that address. You will see a list of installed plugins for your Firefox browser. Check the list for a Java plugin.  It should look something like:

Java Plug-in 1.6.0_03 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)

This example shows java version 1.6.0_03. The bug is reported to affect versions
1.5.0_r14 through 1.6.0_r3. If you are showing one of these versions, proceed with the following instructions. If not, email me and let me know which version you are using.

2. We need to add a line to your java permissions file. Find this file by going to:

Start -> My Computer -> Local Disc (C:) -> Program Files -> Java -> then click on the folder of the java version which you checked in step one. -> lib -> security. You should see a file called java POLICY File. (Save an unmodified copy of this file somewhere where you can find it if you need it.)  Right-click on this file and open with Notepad. You’ll see a bunch of info about permissions. Go to the very end of this where you see    };

3. Copy and paste the following line just before the  };

permission java.net.SocketPermission "12.12.121.212:80-", "listen, accept, connect, resolve";

So the end of the file should look like:

"read";   permission java.net.SocketPermission "12.12.121.212:80-", "listen, accept, connect, resolve";  };

Leave space before and after the line as shown.

Save the file, and you should be all set!
----------------------------------------------------

(replace the 12.12.121.212 with your site's ip - which you will find in the java error message itself if you don't know it)
This workaround was posted here: http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bu … id=6622150 ,  Submitted On 03-FEB-2008

Last edited by acwitness (03-25-2008 09:44:54)

#6 04-02-2008 14:48:36

Pwah

Mmkay.

Thanks to both of you for the help!
=3

#7 04-09-2008 17:49:20

demona

Actually I'm having problems with this.  I was running the install when I got the error messages listed below.  Any ideas?  I also did what the member that started this thread had done and no success.  Help please!

Warning: main(language/english.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /install.php on line 55

Warning: main(language/english.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /install.php on line 55

Warning: main(): Failed opening 'language/english.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /install.php on line 55

Please note I did remove some of the information from the error message since I wasn't sure if it was needed.
It's a fresh install of Wacintaki Poteto 1.3.11

Last edited by demona (04-09-2008 17:51:59)

#8 04-10-2008 02:35:17

Waccoon
Administrator

It's unusual that PHP can't read files that have been uploaded to the server.  Normally, only trying to write files causes problems.

Did you change permissions of the "/language" folder after uploading it?  You need to change the permissions of the "/templates" and "/resource" folders, but the language and smilies folders can be left alone.

Try deleting them from the server and re-uploading them.  That will flush out any odd permissions.  If that doesn't work, you might have to make the folders writable to make them readable (web servers can have weird security policies at times).  So, if just re-uploading the folders doesn't work, CHMOD the folders to 775 and try again.

If you're having more trouble, tell me which FTP program you're using.  Also, in a web browser, can you navigate to the language folder and see the files within?  If the web browser gives you a 403 Forbidden error, we'll have to clear that up, first.

#9 04-10-2008 11:48:50

demona

Hi there and thanks for the speedy reply.  Up and running now!  I went ahead and deleted the two files you mentioned and reupped them and working great!

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB